Fishing Forum

Full Version: baitcast reels
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i just recently bought a abu-garcia black max bait cast reel, being new to fishing i have never used anything but a closed face reel. the first day i bought it i had to take it out and try it. my first cast caused me to tangle a 12 dollar spool of spider wire right on the reel after about a 10 foot cast, after respooling and 2 more unsuccessful attempts at using the reel i have become quite frustrated at it and was wondering what i am doing wrong, and whether i should take it back and get a closed face or if anyone has any pointers for me?
[signature]
Bassass will be our best pro to answer that question , I myself am a openface reel fisherman .

You really don't need to respool your line after a birdsnest happens , just place your thumb on the spool and gently apply some pressure , then grabbing the line (end of the line out to your pole ) pull the snag out , simple and easy fix .

Here's anothe question for Bassass , what type of line do you recomend for a baitcasting reel ?
[signature]
it sounds like a easy fix on the birds nest but after trying it for about 45 min i just got tired of it and cut it out. but thanks for the reply
[signature]
Make sure you have your reel set for the weight of lure you are using ..... and try not to cast a bait caster the same way you cast a open face........when you release the bait caster try to point the Tip at the spot you want the bait to hit.....not like a open face where you have the tip of the pole High in the air.... I use some stuff called P line on my bait casters give that a try if you can find it.... I use my bait caster for under docks and stuff...casting between pontoons on a dock... or under docks and boats kind like skipping the lure but most bass pros use bait casters all the time.... if you fish northern Michigan and use a open face your arms and wrist will be sore bye the end of the day from the big ol smallies lol [crazy]
oh ya ...my 10 year old son cast a bait caster WAy better then I do lol
[signature]
iv had better luck with thin line
[signature]
[#000000]Hey jakl95,[/#000000]
[#000000][/#000000]
[#000000]Welcome to BFT ![/#000000]
[#000000][/#000000]
[#000000]Here is a link to another BFT thread that has some usefull info on baitcasters.[/#000000]
[#000000][/#000000]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=407078;search_string=baitcast;#407078"][#000000]LINK[/#000000][/url]
[signature]
any luck with the possesed bait caster?
[signature]
i am having better luck casting it out but still haven't caught anything with it yet but i am getting it down to where i didn't get a birds nest everytime
[signature]
when you get the hang of it you will love it
[signature]
Baitcasters are a lot of work to learn.. I bought one for Muskie fishing and it took me half the summer to get used to it.. I've actually started grouping my lures in the tackle box by weight rather than style just to make it less work to adjust..
[signature]