Fishing Forum

Full Version: YOUR Opinion on Shakespeare Reels and new Setup.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ive fished for a good 15 years off and on and really have gotten into it this year. I have always used shakespeare rod and reel, but now im looking into getting a whole new setup that will last me and perform great. Im looking to spend right now around 50-60$ I cannot find ANY reviews on shakespeare reels anymore. Are they garbage? I was thinking of getting the Agility combo but want all of your opinion on what to get for the price im looking for. I use Spinning reels only so keep that in mind and your opinion on Shakespeare. THANKS!
[signature]
Welcome to BFTadvt. You didn't let us know if it's saltwater or fresh that you will be fishing. It will be tough to get any quality combo rig for that much money. I do prefer shimano rods and reels. The rods are guaranteed for life and the reels have done very well for me in both waters. Diawa is another brand you can feel good about. We all have our favorites, but to be honest no one I know owns a shakespeare rig. Check with the big box stores and ebay to cut costs.
[signature]
[#000000]Hey advt,[/#000000]
[#000000][/#000000]
[#000000]Welcome to BFT ![/#000000]
[#000000][/#000000]
[#000000]I have several models of Shakespeare Rods and Reels - Synergy, Intrepid, Catera, Ugly Stick. Good products for the money. To be sure, they are not the higher end of the scale as far as quality goes. Nevertheless, for the budget minded angler, they are quite durable and with proper care, will deliver good service for many years. [/#000000]

Although I have many very high quality Rods and Reels from the very best of manufacturers , I still often use my Shakespeare gear. Sometimes, and in certain situations, I find that they fit the bill perfectly.

[#000000][/#000000]
[#000000]Here are a few links with reviews of the different models - most in your price range.[/#000000]
[#000000][/#000000]
[url "http://www.hunting-fishing-gear.com/results-reader-reviews/Fishing%20Rods"][#000000]Review LINK 1[/#000000][/url]
[#000000][/#000000]
[url "http://www.hunting-fishing-gear.com/review-display/1325.html"][#000000]Review LINK 2[/#000000][/url]
[#000000][/#000000]
[url "http://www.great-lakes.org/reviews/review-04-26-04.html#Shakespeare®_Catera®_IM-8_Graphite_Rods"][#000000]Review LINK 3[/#000000][/url]
[#000000][/#000000]
[url "http://www.great-lakes.org/reviews/review-07-26-04.html"][#000000]Review LINK 4[/#000000][/url]
[signature]
HI. FROM JVC i just purchased THE Agility reel with an im6 graphite Agility rod the price for the combo was$37:95 at Sportsman's warehouse the reel an 8 bearing system,and rod7 foot medium action and it is just great and the price not to bad I have used Shakespeare rod@reels for years ,
fresh and Salt watter to me they are the best but everyone has there own favorite if your thinking about the Agility I dont think you can go wrong hope i helped JVC...
[signature]
I don't have any positive comments about Shakesphere except for that fact that they will last if you don't use them every day.

I had too many problems with the warranties to make it worth my while to keep using them.

I do however use Okuma on a daily basis. They have quite a few combos and many of the items have a lifetime, over the counter exchange warranty.[cool]
[signature]
I have fished with shakespeare's excursion rods for three years and for the money, you can not ask for more. These are my freshwater workhorses, six and a half and seven foot medium action spinners. I have caught hundreds and hundreds of pounds of all different species of fish with these rods. They are all graphite, rugged enough to bank a fifty pound carp, and they are less than fifteen dollars at Wall Mart. I do not pamper these rods at all. I travel from spot to spot on a bicycle, which means my gear, including my rods go in a back pack. My reels are Cabela's prestige which are also made by Shakespeare. They have a smooth retrieve and drag, and again, rugged enough to bank a fifty, and are cheap enough to stuff in a back pack and not worry. Fish Shakespeare.
[signature]
I caught the fish in the picture below with a 6ft ugly stik medium action. The key is high quality line and setting your drag right then shakespeare will be just fine.
[signature]