Fishing Forum

Full Version: Jordon River/Pumphouse
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Took the kayak down to the pumphouse area today. Arrived about 3pm. I had deciced to do the river because the W was up and the lake looked like no fun.

Paddeled down stream from the airpark throwing a small roadrunner looking for Whities. Managed to hook and land a 21" channel on that. Nice fight on 4 lb test and a light rod.
Paddeled all the way to the bridge at Hwy 73 then back. Then I paddeled up into the pumphouse area. At the inlet I caught 6-7 whitebass, they were right up against the dam. Then on the way out I found a little channel that had some crappie in it. They were in 18" of water, right in the weeds, I mean in. After 6 of them the sun was going down and I headed home.
[signature]
Nice job! It's nice to have something like a kayak to get away from that crowd behind the water gates. That and the shore fishing by the pumphouse is really limited, if you're not there early enough your are kinda S.O.L. I have an 8 ft. boat that I can load in my SUV and carry just about anywhere. Like you I can float in about six inches of water, so it's easier to get where no one else can go. Where have loaded in at to get to the pumphouse? Do you come at it from the lake? I've kinda scouted around there for someplace but have yet to find a great entry point. Thanks for any input.
[signature]
I parked outside the gate at the model airplane park, right next to the river. I just un loaded my boat and huffed it on my shoulder the 20 yds to a break in the guard rail nad put in. It was less than 6", more like 3. I managed to push myself out with my paddle and rocking back and forth. It was even harder to get back in.
The next break in the fence farther downstream is steeper but plenty deep to launch.
Do you have wheels? Some kind of dolly or wheels would make launching a snap as the lot and road into te model park is paved.
from the Kayak I discovered several places to access fine water, some of it a hike, but a bike with one of hose trailer attachments and you could fish miles of Jordan River.
[signature]
This might be an old thread, but if any find this through a search you can also enter via Willow Park in Lehi. They have a small ramp. You would have to paddle south to the Pumphouse, but it's not that far. I am not sure if you can buy a pass to the park, or if you have to pay a fee each time. This might be more hassle than it's worth to you, but I wanted to let people know about the park as there are several people who aren't aware it is even there.

Map of park:
[url "http://www.utahcountyonline.org/apps/WebLink/Dept/PUBWRKS/willow-color_areas.pdf"]http://www.utahcountyonline.org/...llow-color_areas.pdf[/url]

Park details:
[url "http://www.utahcountyonline.org/Dept/PubWrks/Parks/ParkDetails.asp?IDNO=11"]http://www.utahcountyonline.org/...kDetails.asp?IDNO=11[/url]
[signature]
Im sure you only have to pay fees if you are camping or renting a pavillion
[signature]
I have been hitting the Jordan pretty hard lately. I plan to paddle the whole length by the end of the year.
Willow Park is the next bridge down stream from the hwy 73 over pass. It would be a good paddle from there to the pumphouse and you would pass several very good fishing spots along the way. There is also another bridge down stream from Willow Park, It is 5th North, Lehi.

I just returned from the Jordan. I was between the lowhead dam (killer that one is) at Winchester Park to the 53rd South bridge. Faster water, good for white bass. Not to many deep slow holes or structure for cats.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Those white bass are plentiful by the dam.
[signature]
I refer to the section between the Lake and Thanksgiving Point Golf course as the upper Jordan. It is one of the best streches to paddle. There is plenty of water and lots of deep holes and not to much current.
I plan on exploring the section between the 1st dam, (behind Camp Williams) to the second dam this weekend. From Google it looks to be very braided and it may not be a place to paddle.

If any one out there (McLennon, ect.) knows the river very well I would love to hear from you about the river. Access points, dangerous spots like low head dams, or fishing holes. PM if you don't want to broadcast your information.
[signature]