Fishing Forum

Full Version: New Rod in town
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have the pleasure of testing out a new STILLWATER rod out.
This rod is light, smooth and beautiful.
A faster action for wind and big flies, but snappy and smooth for my #30's. It has been compared to the Sage XP with favorable results. Personally I compare it to what I have which is an Orvis T3 9.5 tip, and the Winston BIIx. This new kid can hold it's own...FANTASTIC!

Now the really good news, it is made in England, three piece, LIFE TIME WARRANTY (with the usual handling fee), comes with sock and zipper cast.

PRICE? Check this out:

[url "http://www.flydesk.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TF&Category_Code=E"]http://www.flydesk.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TF&Category_Code=E[/url]

Here is the 5/6 that I am demoing:

[inline fd6.jpg]

[inline fd3.jpg]
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Nice rod there FGD. I hink that Mac will be checking your file 13 for your discards. Wishful thinking for he may have to wait in line.[Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
hey now.. we can all share.. Ill just keep forgetting to give it to the next guy or gal in line.. hehehe

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
have one question sis..

the rod you show in your pictures does not have the fighting butt on it.. but the one in the link you gave us does??

now you know you gotta keep us updated on this one and of course you could always blog it.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
is this a rod you can use that heavier grain depth charge line on??

which reel are you gonna use on it? (we all know you have many to choose from.. [Smile] )

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Okay, first question. Fighting butt. The one in my picture is the 5/6 9' .... no fighting butt, the other larger sizes will.

YOUR SECOND QUESTION IS A REAL GOOD ONE. Sinking lines. As you know I like slow action rods and I find sinking lines easy to cast, BUT, add a large fly to it and it can be a chuck and duck. That is why I have the T3 and the Biix (keep in mind, both these rods are three times the price of the New Kid)
Depth Charge 300 on the 5/6 and maybe a 350 and + on the 7/8.
Reel, well for 5 weight I have a Vosseler, Tibor and a Battekill LA and lines Ridgeline, Gold and Trout Select II all in WF ( I am not a TT or DT girl). I tried all three on New Kid and it liked them all. I was pavement fishing, but was down to backing.
As for which line I will use on it, probably the GOLD. The Ridgeline is the JWF line, and the STII is the Far and Fine's line.

I would also like to mention the color of this rod...reminds me of SAGE's dark redish brown...beautiful!
[signature]
are these guys a newer company?

and tell them your little bro said that if they really want their gear tested out by an expert novice Ill be the first to volunteer.. hehehe

TT.. JWF..and people told me the Navy had too many acronyms.. heheheh

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
TT = Triangle Taper DT = Double Taper WF = weight forward

JWF= Joan Wulff Favorite (Winston) As far as the T3 it is a T3 and the BIIX , Boron

Oh and STII = Rio Selective Trout II
[signature]
I just could not get that TT and jwf.. most of the rest I was okay with.. [Smile]

speaking of Joan Wulff.. I was watching a short video clip of her fly casting basics video.. she was talking about hand placement, wrist positions, forearm and shoulder movements.. it was interesting [Smile]

TacFly
[signature]
Absolutely! I guess that is why the cork on her rod is a full well with a thumb dent. Puts your hand in the right possition, no questions asked.
[signature]
I noticed that and thought that maybe I was seeing things.. but she has it so well worn that it just kind of falls into her hand.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]