Fishing Forum

Full Version: New to fishing. Need tips on situation.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I'm new to fishing. My dad was an avid fisherman. I remember being with him and him catching 2-3 big fish each time.

I want to start fishing. I've been fishing about 6 times now. I've caught no real big fish. Just a few small 4-6inch bluegills.

Im using nightcrawlers as bait and Im fishing at a lake called Lake Cunningham in San jose CA. So far, I've never gotten a bite on my line. I go fishing from 3pm to 7pm.

And my fishing rig looks like this.
[Image: FishingRig.jpg]

But im planning on switching to the Night Crawler rig in this link http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=h...6%26sa%3DX
[signature]
Welcome aboard and thanks for your question here.

The worm rig will work well for the Catfish in your lake. Be sure to use at least a 1/2oz sliding sinker and maybe a 4lb leader.

Since the lake isn't very deep you should be mostly limited to Catfish during the summer and Trout during the winter. The Panfish will bite most of the year anyways but they will be better closer to the surface.[cool]
[signature]
and just another tip im not sure wat size hook ur using but I was just going to say that if u really want to catch some good cat's dont be affraid to add a nice size hook or layer the night crawler on it a bit. it wont keep u from catching them ,and it may discourage the blue gail from trying it Wink

if not, then use mackerel for bait. ive used mackerel, and never has it gone wrong Smile
[signature]
Idk what size hook it is. But its big enough im sure.

As for layering the worm. I don't know what that means.

What I do is I hook the worm from its head and bring the hook through out its whole body to the point where the worm is in the shape of the hook.

What is a 4lb leader? I use 12lb line for my leader.
[signature]
12 lb should be ok. If the Cats aren't all that big then you really don't need big line. It is a matter of preferrence.

As far as hooks go, it is better to use Circle hooks. 2/0 or 3/0 best for that size Catfish.

Stacking the worm is a term that referrs to the hooking method.

Simply hook the worm through on one side, fold the worm an inch away and pass that onto the hook, fold and stick the last piece onto the hook. Now your worm is stacked.[cool]
[signature]
basically when i say "layer" the worm on the hook, I mean just dont have any excess worm hanging off the hook. thats a good way to get ur bait robbed from u.
[signature]
someone mentioned to use a circle hook.

Im looking at pictures of J-hooks, circle hooks, octopus hooks and wide gapped hooks.

Does it really matter? They all look the same with one minor adjustment.

I've been using octopus hooks and widegap hooks.
[signature]
Octopus hooks will also work but you need to give it a good tug to set the hook.

With Circle Hooks and even the Kahle Hooks, you simply start reeling in as you feel the fish on the line. The hook will set itself.[cool]
[signature]
Hey Ratlations! Its nice to meet you! I'm new to fishing too and if you are ever looking for someone to discuss these matters with I'd be honored to learn the sport with you!

As far as your questions go, I myself don't worry about a fancy rig. No swivels or anything like that. In fact I hardly ever use live bait. For me a nice Palomar knot and a top-water frog have done me wonders! I've also been experimenting with Buzz Bait and Rattle Traps for Smallmouth and Largemouth Bass.

Keep in touch if you ever want a buddy to learn with!
[signature]
[quote Scruffy] Hey Ratlations! Its nice to meet you! I'm new to fishing too and if you are ever looking for someone to discuss these matters with I'd be honored to learn the sport with you!

As far as your questions go, I myself don't worry about a fancy rig. No swivels or anything like that. In fact I hardly ever use live bait. For me a nice Palomar knot and a top-water frog have done me wonders! I've also been experimenting with Buzz Bait and Rattle Traps for Smallmouth and Largemouth Bass.

Keep in touch if you ever want a buddy to learn with![/quote]
ur stupid hes not bass fishing hes goin for cats n gills
wen i go cat fihin i throw shrimp an u want to fish the shallows with a small bait hook an small pinch weight for gills
[signature]