Fishing Forum

Full Version: killing a fish before cleaning it
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
well a little while ago i asked this question and i found a way that works pretty well. because i caught a 3lb catfish i was told to take a hammer and hit it in the head and i did and he died instanyly tell me your way that you kill them before cleaning them
[signature]
Since I keep a live well on the boat and don't keep a whole lot of fish, most of the fish are very much alive and squirming at the time that I fillet them.

Certain fish, I have to whack them on the head with a fishing club just before they go under the knife.[cool]
[signature]
Just filet them you dont have to hit em if you have a pretty sharp knife I've filet cats and they are stiil going when Im done? Maybe Im wrong butt my 3 year old thinks its crazy.
[signature]
I thought this question was just asked a few days ago... maybe that was in a different forum... anyway...

I like them to be kicking a little bit when I clean them. That way they bleed out better and makes for a better tasting fillet in my opinion.

If you must kill it first, a fish club works. I have also seen people poke the tip of their fillet knife into the soft spot right between the eyes (a little above the eyes) and wiggle it/twist it a couple of times. Not sure how well that works, but I've seen it done.
[signature]