Fishing Forum

Full Version: Gunlock to be drained this fall and limits upped---Lake Powell record Gizzard Shad-Pic of record Gizzard Shad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[inline gshad88.jpg] Got this off of the Utah Fish Finder website

Limit Upped on Gunlock

Gunlock will be drained this fall and all the fish will be lost. This gives anglers a chance to catch those fish. The daily bag and possession limits at Gunlock have been increased to 12 largemouth bass without size restrictions, 16 channel catfish, 100 bluegill and green sunfish in the aggregate, and 100 crappie.

Record Gizzard Shad from Lake Powell

You normally think of gizzard shad as being a small forage fish. However, Zac Stansberry of Montrose, CO, showed that they can grow to the size of the predator fish. He caught a new state record fish weighing 2 pounds 8 ounces. It is the same size as the stripers that would normally be chasing it.
[signature]
Any idea on what date the main drain might happen. I would like to get down there and try to do my part.

Majja
[signature]
Are you kidding me? That is a horrible shame. Why are they draining it? That lake could possibly produce the next state record largemouth. Those southern Utah bass guys better jump on that. If this is the case, I think that it is extremely possible that someone will be catching the next state record largemouth pretty soon...with no size limit, and all those fish getting bunched up in a tiny little area...wow...I might have to think of an excuse to get down there somehow for this event...
[signature]
CBR caught one that was that big one or two years ago and let it go to make babes, his hit a crank bait...He has the picture still I think...
[signature]
Where can we get some info on when there going to drain the lake?
[signature]
[left]Looks like there is Mercury in the Bass. I wouldn't eat any of them. I guess you could catch them and compost them or mount any trophies.
[/left]
[left]
[/left]
[left]Advise healthy adults to only eat 2, 8 ounce portions a month.

[url "http://www.deq.utah.gov/News/2005/082205_fish_advisories.htm"]http://www.deq.utah.gov/..._fish_advisories.htm[/url] [/left]
[left]
[/left]
[left]However, the channel cats and the Bluegill are good to go, looks like it is something the Bass are eating rather than the water itself, at least that is my guess.
[/left]
[signature]
I fished gunlock in May this year and spent 5 hours fishing for bass and my dad spent 5 hours fishing for crappie's. We didn't catch anything, not even a bite. We went all over the lake in a boat and couldn't get a bite. Spots looked really great but not a fish around... After we got back to Quail Creek we talked to a DWR guy and he said that after Gunlock went over the banks and flooded out. All the fish are gone. We got there just after sun-up and left after lunch... Started off on the far right side of bank up by the river coming into it. then drifted down the whole right bank. Then went back up to the far left and came down the whole left bank.. nothing... went back to quail and caught some bass.....
[signature]
I don't know, this is the first for me to hear of it....Anyone know why it will be drained???
[signature]
I'd love to see the record. Got a photo link?

I submitted for it couple years ago and my form went ignored by the DWR. 19.5 inches.

[Image: normal_biggizzardshad.JPG]
[signature]
I was down there about the same time. I saw one bass on the north end and had one nibble. Saw no evidence of bass anywhere. We went to Quail and fished the beds. Fished the same structure, same depth, and same temp at Quail as we did at Gunlock and did great.
They started draining Gunlock the first of August.
[signature]
Here is the link!

http://www.wayneswords.com/bigfish.htm
[signature]