Fishing Forum

Full Version: Flaming Gorge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am getting ready to head up to Flaming Gorge for the fall fishing frenzie. Macs are on the docket. Has anyone been up there in the last couple of weeks? I am wondering if there have been any success stories or tricks of the trade. The Macs get really picky this time of the year. I want to take a buddy of mine up there and land him a nice fish. (A one pound koi is amazing to him).
[signature]
I have friends here at work that have been fishing there 3 to 4 days out of the week for the past month and they have been doing fairly well but they put in alot of time on the water. Heaviest so far as been in the mid 40# range with alot in 30# plus range. All fish are released. Like everyone else on the Gorge the how to's and where's are pretty much kept a secret. I went with them 2 weeks ago and had a pretty good trip. Like most fishing just find where the boats are concentrated and keep a sharp eye out for the different techniques being used. Good luck and I'm sure if you put your time in you will pick up a good fish or to. Most of the guys are pretty courtious, just watch out for the guys trolling with steel line they can ruin your day if you happen to be using down riggers.[fishin]
[signature]
First I woulds like to welcome you to BFT utah.
Pete is right on with his comments but here is a way to get some more info about fishing the Gorge. There is a search button above that you can use to get more info about the Gorge but just to make it easier I have done it for you. Here is a link to that search:
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/Utah_Fishing_General_F58/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=forum_58&search_string=flaming+gorge&search_type=AND&search_fields=s&search_time=&search_user_username=&sb=post_time&mh=25"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/Utah_Fishing_General_F58/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=forum_58&search_string=flaming+gorge&search_type=AND&search_fields=s&search_time=&search_user_username=&sb=post_time&mh=25[/url]

Good luck on your trip. WH2
[signature]
The macks are actually LESS picky this time of year because they aren't getting fished as hard as they do in the spring and summer. Linwood Bay is the "secret spot."[Wink][Wink]

Pick your poison, and fish it hard. Larger jigs will get you fewer bites, but fewer pups as well. If you just want action, drop a 3-4 inch tube to the bottom. It WILL get bit if you pay attention.

I haven't been seeing the 30's and 40's lately that Pete is talking about, but daily fish under 20 pounds, and LOTS of them under 10. The spawning humps are currently surrounded by fish, but they haven't moved onto the rock piles yet.

Your success will be completely dependent on your level of focus and technique, assuming you have calm water. If its blowin'--go to the river! (Its HOT too!).
[signature]
I appreciate the favorable responses.

I typically hit the lake after ice off and into early spring. We have had great success over the years bringing in some nice 30-40# macs. I have never fished the Gorge in the fall time, so I am really jiggin from the hip on this trip. Linwood Bay is a favorite of mine (45# Mac) because always seems to have a few good fish to fight. I am excited to get up there and breathe the air.

BTW, the second best part of fishing at the Gorge is the stop at the Flaming Gorge Lodge. I can't resist their crab legs. A skunked day at the lake is always overshadowed by lunch at the lodge! FYI if you want to get crabs, in the good way!
[signature]
If you've been "bringing in some nice #30 and #40 macks over the years", then you don't need anybody's help, regardless of time of year!
[signature]