Fishing Forum

Full Version: 28 and 34 inch ear spread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
did i read that right on the post that got locked,i dont think so 22 is usually the norm thtas how you judge spread i have 8 mounted and all are around 22. inches on the ears, how about it rog go measure the ears on that 36 incher you got muzzloading.[sly]
[signature]
Just measured my big buck 22 1/2 inches from outside to outside of the ears the rack is over 30
[signature]
there ya go i ment three quarters not 34. ive measured alot of deer never seen a 28 inch ear spread. but not sayin it cant happen,that would be a true mule.[sly]
[signature]
LMAO, that is called an elk![sly][sly][sly]
[signature]
36 wide is a huge buck, but they do exsist. If you check out past posts made by McLennon, you can see that he has quite a collection of trophy bucks. There are a few over 30 inches in there for sure.
I dont doubt that he shot a huge buck, the problem is that he shot another one.

BTW some guy shot a 38 inch buck on the Vernon unit a few weeks ago. There were pictures posted on MM but I couldn't find the post today.

If you want to see live 30 inch bucks, go down to Little mountain and check those bruisers out. I'm going to get some video of them when it snows a bit.
[signature]
We are talking about EAR spread Matt. Not racks. If you want rack spread, check out the honey in the add top right corner![sly][sly]
[signature]
[crazy] Sorry, I'm still trying to wake up. Gimme a break, it's Monday!

Found that 38 incher

[inline "38 incher.jpg"]

And yes, the typical "EAR" spread is about 22 inches. I have read a bunch of deer hunting books and they all say 22 inches is average.
[signature]
wow!
[signature]
Holy crap that is a monster!

Jerry and his family have taken a lot of really nice deer over the years, so I'm sure he knows how to measure a deer. Most deer are around 22-23" ear to ear, however, just like humans, not all deer are the same and it takes a wide range of measurements to get an "average". Anatomy books talk about an average of 4-6" of certain parts of the male anatomy...take that for what it is worth...so without seeing a tape measure, knowing the quality of deer he and his family have taken, I'll take him at his word.
[signature]
I cant belive roger hasent chimed in hear i know u have sen that buck lunker.
[signature]
I have some good video of some bucks two years ago from the vernon unit to bad i dont know how to up load them
[signature]
Not sure who you are talking about. The Roger i know shot a 19" 3 point.
[signature]
Try uploading them to [url "http://www.youtube.com"]www.youtube.com[/url] and then you can post the link up on here. It's pretty simple to figure out on youtube, and they accept most video formats.
[signature]
go look at the one he shot muzzloading,about 12 years ago im sure he aint thrown it away. your neighbor acrooss the street.
[signature]
across the street, look at the one hes got mounted.he got him about 12 years ago muzzloading.
[signature]
Damn, what a great buck..
[signature]
He's got a couple bucks over there i think.
[signature]
Wife's buck 27 1/2 outside spread 24 1/2 tip to tip on the ears normally the bucks don't drop their ears this much and I always considered 22 inches to be the norm. When I started doing some guiding on the DLL I found 24 inches to be a fairly good judge from tip to tip on the big bucks, and I have seen the big boys spread their ears out fairly flat at times. Just my 2 cents. [fishin]
[signature]
Now that is a buck! Thanks for the pic.
[signature]