Fishing Forum

Full Version: Lincoln bash
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Gosh! Alot has changed since my last sign in on BFT last april. Working three jobs, and working on my masters degree has taken a huge hit on my fishing time[:/]! I have not fished for a long time until yesterday! I know i need to repent!

I was forgiven by the great fishgods yesterday when I went out to lincoln beach to fish the warm springs... caught like 50 white bass and three walleyes! I felt so elated with my success that I did a somersault backward flip and fell in the water when I got my wader boot stuck in between two rocks. Promptly froze... the air was real coolish and no dry clothes! Headed for my truck for my heater... decided I had enough of my success so I went home wet but a happy camper. LOL[:p]
[signature]
Paul, great that you got out and caught some.
[signature]
nice pauly. chuck is out ther right now. any hens??? and first spring or second? thanx pauly. ken
[signature]
Eyes were like 19-23 inches. Real keepers as they were real chunky too! Yummy crispy fried eyes! 2nd spring were producing eyes... first were producing whities.

I DIDNT WANT WHITIES SO I MOVED TO SECOND. lol
[signature]
Long time, good to hear from ya. I'm glad somebody is having some luck on the UL eyes...certainly not me.
[signature]
Nice job on the Eyes
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good to hear from you again. Nice report.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Question: How did you get down to the springs? Have they opened the gates and removed the "No Trespassing" signs?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Last I heard the only place accessible by foot was the turnout by the L.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]They put up no trespassing signs a long time ago, when they started making plans to put in that big resort, etc.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Aye aye Scoutendude!

Ever heard of legs and feet? I walked along the shoreline... Last time I heard it's public access.[cool]

The back tires of my 4-Runner is going bald and I wouldnt dare risk a flat so I parked and walked. [crazy] I hadn't noticed the signs.[pirate] But it's a good thang I walked instead of wasting gas and rubber...
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You are lucky. The sheriff does not consider it public access, and it is posted. With the exception of that one spot, there is NO public access along the shoreline of Lincoln Beach. There have been quite a few tickets issued to those who used to wade along there...who claimed it was public access. There was one very hostile group of locals who got belligerent and some ended up in the slammer.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can still fish it by coming in from the lake...by boat or tube. But, if you are caught walking the shoreline...or any of the old dirt roads...you can be cited.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Jumping jesophat! Really? I've not been harrassed at all. I waded from boat harbor through to second springs without harrassment. So even you are in the water you are trespassing????

I heard the utah judges ruled last summer that all streams and rivers are wadable, canoe-able tubable, through private property. So what makes this different at Utah lake? Water line? So is this still private property for this blowhard company who wants to build a outfit resort?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I don't make or interpret the laws. But, as a sheriff explained it to me...the land is privately owned...from the Utah County park at Lincoln Beach clear around to Goshen. It has not been clearly defined in the rulings, but traditionally the high water mark is the point at which the public has a right to access to the shoreline and the waters beyond. However, there is no ruling that insists that a land owner make the shoreline available, through public access easements or roads. They can post the property and lock gates if they want, to keep people from crossing their property.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My guess is that as long as you waded below the "high water mark", you could probably not be cited...as long as you entered the water from a public access point...like the county park. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The people who are being cited are walking along the roads or going through locked gates to get down to the water. I know of nobody who has been called out of the water to get a ticket. But, if when they leave the water they walk up a road or otherwise cross posted property they are violating the no trespassing signs.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It has been this way for years. During high water periods they close it all off. During drought years, when there is a lot of exposed shoreline below the high water line, they sometimes open it to anglers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]From what I have heard...rumors only...access to the shoreline may never be available to us again, except by coming in from the open lake. If that resort and planned community is built, it will probably be much like Saratoga Springs...with private facilities and restricted access.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
can someone tell me where these warm springs are located. I have a boat and would like to fish for white fish.
[signature]
chuck and i were down there on the pheasant hunt. there were about 6 of the normal waiders out from the point just north of the second spring. we parked at that pull out. the way its posted looks like access is from that spot. we hunted some of it down to the old boat ramp. 1 thing we did notice was that down past the orchard around the corner. is rocky and very fishy looking. [fishin]
[signature]
[quote hodgie73]can someone tell me where these warm springs are located. I have a boat and would like to fish for white fish.[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]The springs are not marked and unless you know where they are, you are not likely to be able to find them the first time by yourself. Many of us have fished the area for years and know where they are by shoreline references...not GPS points.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]These springs have changed a lot over the years too. Sometimes they pour forth good volumes of warm (not hot) water and that really brings in the fish during the coldest months. However, for the past few years the flows have been much slower and cooler. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also, in low water years you can often find the springs by seeing steam rise from their location. But, when the lake is high enough to cover them with several feet of water, it is difficult to find them simply watching for steam or watching the temp reading on sonar. I have been right over first spring and have not been able to see any difference in temperature from the main lake readings. But, if there is even a couple of degrees difference at the outlet the fish will find it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Attaching a map to show you the general area. Actually, there are lots of rock ledges and humps in the area and these are some of the only real structure in the lake...besides out at Bird Island and a very few other spots. Bring lots of jigs and fish light heads to keep from donating too much tackle.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh yeah, you will be fishing for WHITE BASS...not "white fish".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]...And a lot of posted signs along the road.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are some great fishing spots down there, but most of my favorite tube launching spots have been shut off from public access.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
ya i saw them as well. but that is a good thing. from a boat its all wide open with litle presure.
[signature]
What about in the winter when the water freezes. I suppose there is no problem with walking across the ice, is there? That is, unless you find the warm springs by mistake (by walking across very thin ice above the warm water).
[signature]
[quote SkinnyLynnie]What about in the winter when the water freezes. I suppose there is no problem with walking across the ice, is there? That is, unless you find the warm springs by mistake (by walking across very thin ice above the warm water).[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]As long as you get in or on the lake...or the ice...at a public access point, there are no legal restrictions. But, at Lincoln Beach, you cannot cross private property to access the lake.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The main springs at Lincoln Beach are all close to shore, with little potential danger of people falling through thin ice. Again, the water that comes out of them is not boiling hot...just slightly warmer than lake water. Only during very low water, with a heavy flow of warm water, will the springs remain open in the surrounding ice. In a mild winter they might stay open all the time and it can be good fishing inside them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But...in the Saratoga Springs area, there are some HOT springs that come into the lake. Some boil up out in the main lake, quite a few yards offshore. At least they used to. I have not fished that area for many years. One winter there was an open spot in the ice...over one of these warm springs...and it was possible to catch white bass from around the edges of that hole on every drop. Had a couple of guys walk too close to the thin edge and break through.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Many years ago, before all of the demands on ground water lowered the water tables and diminished the flow, the springs at Lincoln Beach maintained a heavy outpouring and the water was much warmer. In those days they had big swimming pools of the warm water and a resort that featured big dances and public swimming. All that remains are some old rock buildings and a few depressions in the ground.[/#0000ff]
[signature]

I have the first spring gps marked, taking a boat in there right now is pretty spooky. the water around the spring is about 1.3 feet and the spring is about 4.5 feet deep.
the warm water comes in at the far south end of it and theres a bunch of weed and shallow water and rocks.
if you never seen the hot spring when the water was low, you missed somthing that was very important.

I fished lincoln beach on this last tuesday and the fishing sucked. I fished both springs, the L and the orchard side and not a bite.
I don't know what bait paul was using, I was using the normal color for fall down there and nothing. whats up,
thats just not normal for whitebass at the hot spring. when they are in there they are there for a while and can be caught on just about any jig that hits the water.
things that make you go hmmmm.
later chuck
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Chuck, I took some pictures back in late 2004, at the end of the last drought...before the lake filled up again. I have attached some that were taken about this time of year...when the ice was forming around the edges of the lake, and there was steam coming out of the first spring. Also shows how folks drove right down onto the rock shelf...which is now under water...and is a potential hazard to props.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]These should provide a better idea for those who have not experienced the springs in their "day". The last pic shows what the first spring looks like, from shore, after the water level rose to maximum after heavy snow runoff the winter of 2004-2005. It is somewhat lower now, but the wading access around the spring is still restricted...and you wouldn't want to drive out there.[/#0000ff]
[signature]