Fishing Forum

Full Version: Henry Lever Action 22 ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am getting my 10 yr old son a Henry Lever Action 22 and can't decide if I should get him a youth model or a full size one. The youth one is about six inches smaller. I think a smaller one would be nice but the guys I work with think the full size one would be better. They are the same price. Does anyone have any input. Thanks
[signature]
My nephew has the youth model. It's a fun gun to shoot, and he really likes it. He will outgrow it someday, but it still can be shot by an adult. Personally I'd go with the Ruger 10/22 CRR (youth) model, then all you have to do is spend 50 bucks on an overmolded stock, or just find a factory stock for 15 bucks, take out one screw, drop the action and barrel into the new stock, and voila, you have an adult sized gun. Easy way to have the gun grow with your kid.
[signature]
I would have to agree on the ruger. I have had mine since I was 10 years old (23 years ago). It has been a reliable, acurate, and easy gun to shoot.
[signature]
Ruger 10 22 is a sweet gun
[signature]
That is a tough and very common question. One thing to consider is how big is your son and whatr will fit him better. The other thing to consider is how soon are you going to want to buy him another one when he out grows the youth model. The henry is a great gun but sometimes the lever guns aren't as easy to learn how to shoot because the way the stock has more of a downward angle. The ruger is also a very good choice. I'm sure you would probably like to surprise your son but you might consider taking him to the gun shop and letting him hold a few different models. That way you get a feel for what is the best fit for him and can make a more informed decision. Take him to try them out and he will have an absolute blast and just tell him you just killing time or something then go back when he is gone and get the one that fits best.
[signature]
I had the same decision to make three years ago when my son was 10. I took him down to SW and let him try the different guns. The only stipulation I had was no semi-auto's. He chose the Henry youth model. It's been a great gun so far. He doesn't shoot it much anymore, but my other three children (younger) and my wife all like it.
[signature]
Myself I would get the Remington 597,I picked one up last year and it is very accurate right out of the box.They have also come out with the thirty round clips for it.You will have to do some work to the ruger to get it even close. just my two cents,oh and very affordable,check them out at wally's
[signature]
I know your question is weather to buy the youth or adult size Henry 22 - great choice either way.

I will chime in and say the lever action is the best choice for a new shooter instead of a semi-auto gun like the 10-22. First both are great guns but I believe the lever action teaches a new shooter that all it takes to kill something is one shot and not a clip of ammo. As you can probably tell I grew up with a lever action Remington that held 15 shells. It had a 4 power scope and I could hit anything within 200 yards. Many of my friends had the 10-22 and it seem like they alway would rapid fire a clip or two (which is fine) but a new shooter needs to center is attention on making each shot count and that safety is number one.

Just my 2 cents.
[signature]
Good call on the one shot one kill mantra.

If the Henry is your choice, get a youth model. He will have much more difficulty shooting an "adult" sized weapon, and might sour him to the sport. Kind of like putting a 10 YO on the back end of a 12Ga. Funny to watch, but not fun to shoot.
[signature]
Thanks for the input. I think I am going to go with the youth model. I probably will get a 10/22 in a few years after he gets a little older.
[signature]