Fishing Forum

Full Version: Gorge Mack spawn ending
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
They're leaving the beds, and starting to bite jigs with their mouths. Water is still in the mid-40's. Air temp. ain't too bad either!

I'm done for this season, headed to warmer climes until April. These are from the past few days, and by no means all of them.

[inline 1-11-08-4.jpg]

[inline 1-11-08-RB-4.jpg]

[inline 1-11-08-RB-2.jpg]

[inline 1-11-08-RB-1.jpg]

[inline 1-11-08-RB-3.jpg]

[inline 1-11-08-RB-5.jpg]

I still have some open days for 2009 spring/summer!!
[signature]
That is rad! All of them look pretty healthy!
[signature]
Thanks for the update Jim! Them are some nice fish as usual.
See ya next season.
I have always wanted to catch a tarpon,what would it cost to come to florida and catch one?
[signature]
It would cost a lot just to get there!![:p] let me see plane,car rental,hotel gets pricey not counting Jims fee.
[signature]
Jim- Have a good winter in Fl, see you next year.
[signature]
ive thought the same thing. i think by motor home with a few guys going along to split cost would be the way. could bring a boat also. jim be safe driving and fun. ken
[signature]
[quote fishinfool]
I have always wanted to catch a tarpon,what would it cost to come to florida and catch one?[/quote]

As Ocean said, you gotta get there ($500-ish round trip), rent a place to stay ($100-150 per night), rent a car ($100-200 a week), buy food/drinks, and have a little spending money. Then, you gotta pay a charter for some fishing days. ($450-$600 per day for inshore/flats) (I'm $480 for two anglers)

And even then, you still haven't caught a tarpon! Sometimes they're around and bite, sometimes they're around and don't bite, sometimes they're not around, and sometimes you can't get out on the windy water to even see if they're around. And when you do hook one, you stand about a 1 in 4 chance of actually getting it to the boat, and that's with bait and a circle hook. Lower odds with flies or artificials and a J-hook.

It ain't cheap, which is why I go and stay for nearly 4 months, and work a bunch of days to pay for it and hopefully break even.

Piscus: I AM filling up right here before I leave town.

Gas is $1.79 IN MANILA today!!!! Thanks Piscus!
[signature]
Hay Jim,
Have a safe trip and good fishing to you [Wink]
See you back on the gorge next spring [fishin]
PS. Don't get too cold down there[cool]
[signature]
Tough life Jim[:p], I can just imagine how much sunscreen you go through down there in the winter. I've never fished for tarpon mainly because I'm usually fishing with my son and sometimes nephews down there. At what age do you find kids able to enjoy flats fishing and fish sucessfully for tarpon? Right now my 11 y.o. son and I have an early February trip planned for the Ten Thousand Island section of the Everglades but if there happens to be a cold front push that far south our back up plan is the Keys.
[signature]

Have fun in Florida, see you in April, later chuck
[signature]