Fishing Forum

Full Version: Nikon Monarch vs Leupold Cascades
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anybody have anything to say about either of these two binoculars??? I'm having a rough time trying to decide.
And I don't have the money for a pair of Swaraskis, so don't even mention it. I'm looking in the $300 range, and so far I have narrowed it down to these. If anybody has any isight or info on other binos comparable to these, I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Hookjaw
[signature]
I just bought a pair of Monarch's this year, upgraded from some Bushnell's and I have no complaints about the. I like the twist up eye cups, and the focus is easy with gloves on. I have not looked through the Leoupold's so I have nothing to say about them. Either one should be a good pair. I bought a 12 power and I would not go any more than that unless you are going to use a tripod.
[signature]
I bought my Nikon 10X42 two years ago and I love mine, Would luv to have a pair of Saworski (Spelling?) but can't afford them, they are deffinately the best on the market if money is no object.
[signature]
I would go with the leupold. The monarchs are nice but the lenses are not being made in japan anymore and they are having a few problems. You should also consider the cabelas brand. I think they are the Cabelas XT for your price range. Leupold makes the cabelas lenses so the quality is there. The price however is a little bit less than the leupold and monarch.
[signature]
In my research, I have learned the Nikons have a better FOV (field of view), but the leupold have a better eye relife. Other than that, they wiegh th same and are just about the same size. I have looked through both of them and I really cant tell too much of a difference other than price.
I have heard the cabelas brand makes a good bino as well. I'll have to go check those out.

I'm leaning towards the Leupolds right now because of the lifetime warantee that they offer. If anything breaks they will fix it and from what i have heard, they are really good in working with you and repairng anything that happens.
[signature]
The life time Warranty is a big deal to me. Its not hard to damage a pair of binos.
[signature]
I believe Nikon carries the same policy even if you drop them and they break, at least my binos and spotting scopes do.
[signature]
I have a pair of the Monarch's and really like them. I have only had one minor issue with one of the eye cups. Nikon replaced the cup and even cleaned the bino's before sending them back to me free of charge.
[signature]
I've had the Monarchs for a couple years now and unless you can pay big money i don't think you will find anything better. They've been great especially in low light conditions.
[signature]
HJ,

I have a pair of Cascades for work and they are really nice for the money. I have used them for almost 4 years and have not had any problems with them. I had some Nikons for two years prior and was not all that pleased. The Cascades do have good clarity and low light capabilities. I am like you, I would like some other brands but for the money these have been hard to beat.

cbfish
[signature]
[#6000bf]Matt,[/#6000bf]
[#6000bf][/#6000bf]
[#6000bf]Its hard to beat the Monarchs. I am not a really big Leuopold fan, but that is just me. I have never had a [/#6000bf]
[#6000bf]problem with my Nikons. [/#6000bf]
[#6000bf][/#6000bf]
[#6000bf]I went with the 10X42's. Most go this route. However, [/#6000bf][#6000bf]if I was to it again, I would go with the 12X42.[/#6000bf]

[#6000bf]Good Luck[/#6000bf]
[signature]
Thanks guys!
I think I'm going to wait for the Hunt Expo in Febuary and see if I can find a good deal at one of the booths. Nikon, Leupold, Vortex, and others will have booths there, so I hope I can pick something up.
Thanks again!
Matt
[signature]
[#400080]Good idea, I have heard nothing but good about the Vortex. I am hoping they have some good deals at the Expo as well.[/#400080]
[signature]
I started looking into the Vortex line of binos and now I have no idea why I even looked at the others. The Vortex stuff out performs Nikon and Leupold by far. They also offer the best warranty available. I watched a glassing DVD by the "Never Enough" boys, and it kind of sold me on the Vortex.
I got a killer deal on some binos and a spotting scope. Paid under $500 for both. If you are looking into buying optics, you have to visit this website.
[url "http://www.cameralandny.com/"][/url]www.cameralandny.com[/url]
These guys offer some excellent deals and the owner is great to work with. Check it out.
[signature]
Under $500 for both?? That is amazing. I heard that Camara Land is really good.

I have a Nikon spotting scope that I do not really like. It would be good to compare it to the Vortex.
[signature]
[quote cadresults]Under $500 for both?? That is amazing. I heard that Camara Land is really good.[/quote]

This is what I got:

10x50 Vortex Vultures roof prism binos
[inline Vultures.jpg]
20-60x60 Vortex Nomad Angled spotter

[inline Nomad.jpg]
I'm pretty excited to check them out. I have compared them to others in them store and they look and feel great.
My neck is pretty excited about the angled spotter too [sly]
Anybody that hunts the extended archery hunt can feel my pain with the straight eye piece. The angled should help out a lot.
[signature]
Good on ya Matt. Looks like they are pretty nice. I have never heard of them until now. I will have to take a look at them.
[signature]