Fishing Forum

Full Version: Mantua Tues. Jan 5th.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[:/] Fished Mantua for the first time yesterday (1/6) due east of the ramp in 10' of water. SLOW! We tried several types/sizes of jigs, ice fly's etc. tipping with meal, wax and regular worms, and eggs. Had an underwater camera, saw perch, blugills, trout, small and lg mouth bass at same and different times. Lots of fish would come right to the bait, look at it, stick out their tounges and laugh and go away![Wink] I ended up with 1 trout and 1 perch for our efforts. We were all alone on the lake for a couple of hours, 2 other groups with ice shelters showed up. One left a little before us, the other stayed to brave the wind and snow. Saw two other ice huts a long way down the dyke towards the inlet. Does anyone know if you can drive on the dyke and park?
[signature]
Were you there at dawn?
The fishing seems to shut down by 10:00 am most of the time, at least for me.
It picks back up in the evenings, most of the time.
[signature]
That is a funny little reservoir. I remember just 4 or 5 years ago that place was hopping. Too much advertisement, along with all the pressure, has really done a number on Mantua. Those fish are so picky and scared, I think the lighter the line you use, the better. Talk to smokingpoles about the success he has with 2# test on that pond.
[signature]
We arrived at 8:00 a.m. and was fishing by 9:00. I was using 6lb, magna thin line. Looked pretty damn thin to me.[Wink] I know I had a hard time threading the line through my jigs. Guess i'm getting old.[crazy]
[signature]
I was their on Tuesday also and we got skunked only three little bits i was just north of you guys in the green tent but i agree on the lake its got to the point where the fish dont like anything we droped down everything to them and they just did not want it..
[signature]
Were you the one in front of/in the tent or the poor bugger trying to stay warm on the west side?[Wink] On day like that I would not go out unless I had a hut that is 100 percent sealed! That wind is brutal! How long after we left did you stay? Was it any deeper where you were at? I don't know what is more frustrating: not getting any bites, or watching on a camera as alot of fish come up to your bait and leave? At least with the camera there is some entertainment that goes with it.[sly]
[signature]