Fishing Forum

Full Version: Coyote - Where to find em?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For years now I've only been a target shooter and occasional bunny hunter, but I think I want to step it up a little. I have never shot a Coyote and it looks like fun.

I've got the camo, the call, and a nice Ak-47 variant with a multi-reticle holographic red-dot sight for quick target aquisition. 7.62 x 39 is a great varmint round and I know I could put the hurt on some mangy Coyotes. I'd prefer a better rifle for long range like the 22- 250 or such, but that's not available to me at the moment in light of school purchases and bills.

I tried last year down by Tooele and saw one Coyote, but it was in a hurry and was gone in a flash. I would really like to know where a good place would be to set up and call some in. The DWR is stil encouraging people to harvest Coyotes since they are overpopulated in many areas and are competing with fragile Kit Fox populations. I live in the Salt Lake valley, so it would be preferable to find a good area close, but anywhere in the state is an option.

Can ayone steer me in the right direction? Any tips or tricks? I'm totally new to this.
[signature]
You are about to join the latest Craze in the hunting world. In the last couple years, the popularity of dog hunting has sky rocketed!
One thing to remember is that it's not as easy as you think it is. Unless you have an awesome honey hole, you rarley will see a coyote. I know guys that go out and walk around looking for them. It doesn't quite work that way however. You need to have a lot of patience, and know exactly how to call and lure them in.

As for finding them, I would look in places with good rabbit pops. They also tend to hang around the deer winter ranges waiting for the weak to die off. I would stay away from the winter ranges right now though. I know that the North Western part of the state has a good pop of dogs. You might take a ride up around the Yost area, I have heard that's a good place.
[signature]
[#6000bf]Experience is the best teacher. I finally got a good call box and plan on getting out a lot this year. When I was [/#6000bf][#6000bf]on my elk hunt there were signs of them everywhere.[/#6000bf]
[#6000bf][/#6000bf]
[#6000bf]The latest craze is the 'rabbit decoy'. Its supposed to work great; I am thinking about giving it a try.[/#6000bf]
[#6000bf][/#6000bf]
[#6000bf]I am glad there is a lot of interest in coyote hunting. With [/#6000bf][#6000bf]fur prices low, its good people are wanting to put some down.[/#6000bf]
[signature]
Hey matt you should hear how one of my buddy hunts the dogs. Camos up finds a nice ditch lays down it it and covers him self up, drowns himself in chicken grease and calls them in and once they are on him he shoots them point blank with a .45. makes one hell of a mess
[signature]
Thanks for your info. After Camo wrapping my gun last night I just can't stop thinking about this. From what I've been looking at, it does seem like a challenge, but that's what lures me to it. It appears that finding a good location is the biggest part of the battle, and then I'll also have to be meticulous about camo and covering up my scent. I also am going to need to spend alot of time learning how to call, or purchase a digital caller.

One guy tells me that there are some good spots a few miles out of Delta. Others agree with you about the more remote areas of Northwest Utah. I think I will also try out past Tooele again since I have personally seen them there. Two years ago I was bunny hunting in the spring after the snow had all melted away and the rabbits were as thick as ever and chasing eachother (mating I guess). That's where I spotted a big old Coyote with a thick pelt running under some pine trees, and this was right next to a corral with cows, horses, goats, etc. I spent what few seconds I had to look at it instead of raising my gun and putting my sights on it - Doh!

Another question - Has anybody tried around Starvation Reservoir? Camped there once and they came into camp that night to pick up scraps.
[signature]
Not exactly related to hunting, but this video is pretty freakin' sweet. Some wolves gang up on a Coyote and start to tear it apart! [url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAoszVLRP6U&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAoszVLRP6U&feature=related[/url]
[signature]
I never see many coyotes their but plenty rabbits last few yrs. Try south of Scipio along hwy 50 to Salina. Hwy 24 South of Siguard to hwy 62 down to Otter Creek.
[signature]
Everytime i think i got a good spot i go there and there are no dogs i finally found a spot that produces a couple about every other trip the shitty part is its 2.5 hours away [mad]
[signature]
2.5 hours isn't too bad, for me at least. I'd be willing to make the trip.
[signature]
A yote day for my is typically an entire day... I don't make a single stand and after each it is necassary to vacate the area by a mile at least... usually more.

These days I carry a shotgun as a primary and a encore 223 to reach out and touch someone... most dogs end up really close....

There are some ok places down the pony express - knowing where is hunted, trapped and poisoned is important. Talk to the ranchers you see out and about.... be careful of their dogs, identify your target before putting one through a sheep dog [Smile] That sounds silly i know, but I have seen a newbee do it during a derby... aint cool.

PM me if you would like some specifics.....
[signature]
Alway pay attention to the wind. They have very good smellers on them!! As Hagg said a lot of them come in very close! I have shot one @ 5 yards. So a shotgun will do the trick and something else to back up them long shots 204 for me!! Good luck.[cool]
[signature]
I will PM you
[signature]
i was feeding deer last sat and one of them buggers jumped right out from under the snowcat jumped out with my pistol and he was 200 yrds away.my son in law was loking at him in the binocs says that is the biggest yote ive ever seen he stoped looked back and made the shake im not to sure he wasnt one of those hybeds out of jellystone.gonnna start packin the rifle i see em every time.ill get a closer look and let you know.[Wink]
[signature]