Fishing Forum

Full Version: PLANKS needed at Painted Rock!!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I took my scout troop to Yuba Saturday along with my seven year old son (someone had to teach them how to fish)

When we got there @ 7:30 it was 34 degrees[crazy]
there was a little open water around the edges. i pulled out my 4 wheeler ramp and we were on our way.

We went out past the island towards the shore and were fishing from 12-20 feet of water. The ice was 8 inches of solid clear with 3 inches of frozen slush.

We caught a total of 34 ranging from 4[crazy] to 12 inches. There was only one boy that didnt get one through the ice, he missed a few and lost a couple at the hole. He still had alot of funlaughing at his dad when he caught the 4 inch PERCHZILLA!!![laugh][laugh]

Headed back around 3:00 and had one boy think he could walk up to the edge by the shore and went through to his knees[crazy] instead of walking on the plank that was there.
All in all it was a great time. And yes my seven year old Hunter out fished all the other boys.[Wink]

[fishin]
[signature]
Nice job!
I'll bet those boys had a good time and some may be hooked for life on ice fishing.
[signature]
Nice Report, always fun to take the scouts[crazy].Glad everyone got off safe.[cool]
[signature]
Wow hooked4life, those are some fatties! (Except for the one the big kid has[Wink]) Good job, thanx for the report.
[signature]
I took that little one, popped out the eyeballs, pulled the huge filets and strung it on a hook under the tip up in hopes of offering a pike an easy meal.[Smile] No such luck though.

[fishin]
[signature]
Its always fun to take the scouts out . I am taking my Venture Scouts camping this weekend on Ririe Res in Idaho. We camp and then fish all the next morning ending the event with a fish fry for lunch.

Windriver
[signature]
Nice job putting those young pups on fish hooked4life! It was nice to meet you! My group made the ice look like swiss cheese by moving around so much to find active fish! I think we ended up with 19 total by the time we left! You guys definitely had a good spot! I had my pike pole sitting there all day with the bail open and no action. Then when I went to reel it in to leave I noticed it was snagged. I ended up having to break my 20 lb braid as I couldn't pull up whatever I was snagged on! Makes me think something toothy may have ran off with my bait and rapped me around a log or bush or something! I will never know!
[signature]
Instead of leaving your bail open, try having a loose bail and set a bell on it. I have heard that it works pretty good and still lets the fish take it, then you pull some line...tighten the drag... and let it RIP.[Smile]

[fishin]
[signature]
I have heard of that and I thought about it after the fact. Hind sight is 20/20 I guess. Next time I will try it![Wink]
[signature]
Windriver,

Good to see you on the Utah board. Do your scouts actually camp on the ice or do you stay in the campground?

Dave
[signature]
We just did the day trip thinking it would be easier to get them up @ 6 from home insted of out of a tent.
I am not the scout master, so it was a great chance to get out with and teach the boys.

[fishin]
[signature]