Fishing Forum

Full Version: More Berry Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
can anybody give me some jigging techniques to use at the berry? slow, fast? short motions long motions? let your pole sit still? what works for you guys i'm an open minded sponge trying to soak up as much fishing information as i can lol. thanks
newfisherman14
[signature]
[quote newfisherman14]can anybody give me some jigging techniques to use at the berry? slow, fast? short motions long motions? let your pole sit still? [/quote]

Every time I go out jigging to Strawberry or most other places I use all of the above. Some days I will use all of the above all day long, and other days I will find that the fish are responding to a certain jigging motion so I will use it more. Also, I like to use a shiver jigging motion. Don't just lift the jig, but give it a slight shaking (shiver) motion while lifting it. Also, often I mix in all of the above frequently, rather than getting stuck using just one motion. I Smile when I see someone jigging constantly repeating the same motion -- most frequently raising the arm a few inches and dropping it. Minnows, or whatever one is trying to imitate, don't naturally act that way, so why do we jig that way?
[signature]
The method that worked the best for me on Saturday was,
I would drop the flasher all the way to the bottom and jig it three times in the mud and then bring it up so the bait was just off the bottom and let it sit for a while.
Many, many times just as soon as it would clear the bottom I would get a hit. I didn't catch them each time, but I did get bit.
Also, if I saw a fish come through on the finder, I would give it a couple of small jigs and a few times the fish would come back and hit it.
Having said that, many hits came with the jig dead sticked.

Good luck.
[signature]
Since I got my FishTV I've learned that a lot of times you can lure passing fish in if you'll drop your jig on the bottom as hard as you can get it to hit. Let it sit a couple seconds and jive it a pretty hefty jerk up a foot or so. When you do that it'll often pull up a little puff of mud & that seems to get some attention. Getting them to hit is another thing. Sometimes they'll smack it & others they'll swim up to it then swim away & you can almost hear them laughing.
[signature]