Fishing Forum

Full Version: Hal, Chick, Mostly Crappie, 02-17-09, Drum King
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My partner for today backed out on me yesterday so last night I gave Drum King a call to see if he wanted to keep my boat's back seat warm early this morning. He said yes, since he still doesn't have his boat back he had the itch, emoSmile <br />We met at daylight and went on a crappie search, emoScratch It was really slow at first and it was cold too, 23* when we started, emoRolleyes <br />We finally found the crappie at a deep water dock and most of the fish were caught within about an hours time. They turned on and we had 6 sets of doubles going. At one time we were catching a crappie on every cast, now that's fun, emoBigSmile We caught a total of 40 and then someone hit the "off" switch and we couldn't beg another hit, emoAngry Out of the 40 that we caught there was a high percentage of throwbacks as we only had 16 keepers, emoRolleyes Many were in the 9 & 3/4 inch range, just a lil short.<br />DK was true to his name and caught an Alabama Smallmouth that weighed about 6 lbs on a jig. We thought it was a big bass at first but when I got the net under it there was one of his pets, emoGeezer <br />DK had an appointment and I had to get him back to the boat ramp at 11 and I decided I hadn't had enough so I thought I'd go back out and try a little more, emoTongue I ended the day with 12 more crappie but only 2 keepers out of that round, emoThumbsup Surely a lot of throwbacks today but they are fun too when they are just a little short, they pull hard too, emoSmile Most fish were caught on ringer stingers, Bobby Garland shad and So. Pro Crappie Stingers on a 4 to 6 count in 12 to 16 fow.<br />Saw lots of bait balls today and also a lot of dead shad floating or just under the surface.<br />When I cleaned the crappie there were 7 with eggs and the rest, I guess, were males.<br />We also caught a couple bluegills. DK hooked one right in the top of the head, Sad I think the fish was a little Confused, emoBang<br />Just a footnote;<br />A very good friend of ours was killed in a car wreck a couple weekends ago and I had promised him a mess of crappie next time I caught some. I cleaned 'em and we took these over to his wife and kids tonight and they were as happy as could be to get fish to have a fish fry with, emoHungry I know they will enjoy them at a tuff time for the family. I'm glad we could take them some fish during this Sad time in their lives, emoSmile He was only 42