Fishing Forum

Full Version: willard report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well this is a Sad and happy story all in one. Hit willard last night for three hours in the tube. Wind and all smashing me around i managed to have one of he best nights or evenings i have ever had there. Started off by a 3 lb smallie right out of the rocks first cast. Largest smallie i have caught there. Followed with 4 more little buggers not much bigger than my lure. Then the wind hit like a ton of bricks. The bite was less aggressive and i continued to miss about 15 more bites in a hours. Then went back to the rocks cast up and slammmmmm. Reeled the the new catch and release state record wiper. Heres the Sad news, im by myself no picture so no registration. She will have to be caught by another lucky angler to do it, that is if it isnt kept in the process. wiper was 24 1/4 inches. and no kidding pushing 7 lbs. i think it would have been a weight record also. i weight her on my little cheapo scale said over 8lbs. i know the thing is whacked so i used a more reliable scale, my digital forearms and hands haha. well that was it for thirty minutes then wham 5 wipers five casts all well over 5 lbs all over 22 inches. I was so exhausted from fighting the waves in the tube and have the fish manhandle me in the water i had to leave and couldnt catch another one for the sake of my muscles. So thats that. The wipers are getting huge and boy were they hot last night.
[signature]
Great report Xman. Too bad you was'nt able to record that wiper for your fourth catch&relaese record. I would of liked to seen that fish. Did you catch that fish in the area where Pettyforlife and I picked you up that day?
[signature]
sure did my friend. was a awesome night havent had my arms worn out in awhile like that.
[signature]
Nice report Xman , ain't that the way it goes . I fish by myself most of the time and don't even think about any records to go for . I need to get into some of them wipers to see what all the hupla is about . I need my arm sore He He !!! tight lines
[signature]
Awesome X. Could have been another notch in your belt[Wink]

Great work my friend.

and HA, Like I said, if you got the truck, I got the boat[Smile]
[signature]
[angelic][font "Arial Black"][red][size 2] Hi there Xman, hey where exactly were you on Willard when that happened, or Do I need to work for that? Haha. What were you using?[/size][/red][/font]

[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 2] AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
my guess he was fishing the water He He LOL
[signature]
I second that,at least the location,

I have been working the water for awhile and always shared locations on this site.and if I was catching them big wipers you can bet I would let you all know.Thats why I jioned this site a year ago.It's all in good fun.

TIGHT LINES

Tony
[signature]

PescadorUtah

Xman, You da man. Great job, now you have made my earlier prediction come true. Did I not say that we would see record fish caught this year? The record will fall again this summer maybe several times. X man I hope it is you.
[signature]
[Tongue][font "Arial Black"][red][size 2] HA69 you are sooooo bad.[/size][/red][/font]

[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 2] AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Great report Xman, I'm guessing you were using some of your homemade jigs? You must have got into a school of the big wipers, how far did you get from shore? Too bad you didnot get that picture. Just for the record what kind of info do you need to have a catch and release record? Thanks. WH2
[signature]
you need a application. fill it out and a picture of you and the fish and have a witness sign it. i didnt have anyone else with me so though i could have lied i guess and faked the picture taking it myself there would be no witness therefore no record.
[signature]
well i believe that is what this site is for also therefore ill post where i was etc. my concern is again all the wipers being taken out already and not getting a chance to grow as big as the ones i was getting into. i counted over 40 monday night taken out. dont get me wrong i think it is good. just this year though seen so many places like pineview where spots held so many fish and you go back a week later and they are all gone. crappie in pineview is a great example.

well i was fishing the southeast corner. this is my honey hole since im primarily a shore fisherman but decided to make the drag with all my gear and tube up the dike and over. the big wipers were about 2 feet from shore and wanted it exactly parallel to the shoreline. i caught wipers and smallies on the willard special, producer shad rap prism. and the other wiper special, 3 1/2 inch curly tail grub on a orange jig head. no special technique or anything just reel and set the hook. i did find that deeper out the fish were all sitting about 3 or for 4 feet suspended that day. i think because of the 3 foot waves i was riding did it haha. i know one thing when the waves are crashing the shoreline get parallel as close as possible to the shore and cast that has been my greatest producer. hope this helps.
[signature]
hey i got the trcuk. a jeep qualifies right?
[signature]
[Wink]
[signature]
I agree with you on the harvest issue. I've seen quite a few fish go out this year. Don't get me wrong, I keep a fish or two now and then, but I'm generally a catch and release kind of fisherman. I think the division made a mistake by raising the limit to 6 fish. I'm not sure how many Wipers get planted there each year, but I think the limit should be lowered, and/or a slot put in place. I hope it doesn't end up like strawberry, too little, too late. Thanks again for the great post Xman. Good luck next time you head out.
[signature]
I agree with you totaly, not more than one should be able to be keep over 20 inches and I think the limit should not be over 2 maybe 3. They have been planting 250,000 one inch wipers a year. WH2
[signature]
i looked at the nevada state record wiper its 17 lbs. colorado record is over 30. we have surrounding states that have enormous wipers. im wondering why our state of utah isnt producing the same. i know the story of the size of wipers in willard etc. but seems interesting to me we cant get them that big. hmmm
[signature]
If your Jeep will pull a 16' trihull, I'm game [Wink]
[signature]
Thanks I did find them today in the spot you said,took me about ten seconds when I noticed all the boats trolling the SE corner,I took a first timer out and he caught a 23 1/2 incher that I wanted to let go,this was the biggest fish he has caught and wanted a picture so we kept it,we then caught numerous fish in the 20 inch range and over and let them all go to grow up,we kept some small fish for the fryer.

I would be more than happy to bring anyone that wants to go,love to catch and realese,and I like to eat some to.

TIGHT LINES.

Tony[cool]
[signature]
Pages: 1 2