Fishing Forum

Full Version: Green - what to expect
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thanks to a mandatory vacation (i.e., furlough from Utah State U.) we are heading to the Green below FG on Wednesday. They have stopped the two peak flows per day and are now at steady 800 cfs. What should we expect? Help or hinder the fishing, especially any dry fly action?

What's your prediction for rods to use? I'll have along a 8'6" 4wt Sage VPS light, a 8'8" 5 wt Scot G, and a 8'6" 6wt Winston LTX. The 4 and 5 are med action largely dry fly rods, and the 6 handles a sink tip pretty well. It'll be interesting to see which one(s) end up getting fished the most.

Tight lines to all.
[signature]
I would expect to be very jealous! Good luck and let us know how you do.[cool]
[signature]
For dries, take the 4 wt. for midges earlier in the day and again at dusk, and possible BWO's in the mid-late afternoon. Don't leave rising fish. Fish long tippets. Look in the slower water. Fish the evening in the pool above Little Hole.
[signature]
Thanks, Jim, all is noted and will do. I had hoped the 4wt to be primary rod for fishing dries, but wanted to carry a second along for weighted nymphng if no rising fish. Don't mind hiking a good bit to find fish.
[signature]
Brody, jealous is looking at that Causey brown!

Fishing is always good, it's the catching that varies!
[signature]
I would fish the Scott. If there is a breeze blowing it will hamper your accuracy. It will stil. be a little early for baetis. There will probably be a few around but not a bunch. Midges will be the dominant hatch. You should see a fair amount of rising fish from 11-11:30 until about 3 and then again from 5:00 until dark as all the midges come back to the water to mate. I would fish biot midges, morgans midges, fuzz balls, hanging midges and clusters. The Rio 12' 6X hand tied are perfect. Nice and long and the Maxima Chamelion butt and mid sections turn over much better than your standard knotless leaders. The water up around coney Island and from ramp 2 at little hole all the way down B section to Grasshopper island should be dynamite.
[signature]