Fishing Forum

Full Version: spring turkey hunt!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey hunters, just wondering if there are any BFTrs going turkey hunting this spring.
I have never done it before but always see them while deer hunting down on the Boulder mtn. I have a southern turkey tag and am wondering if anybody has ever hunted turkeys down there. I know they are their and I know wild turkeys are not stupid so....... I hope somebody has some tips or pointers for hunting them in utah.
no need to give up your spots just a general comment on what to do where to start you know. I have watched tons of turkey hunting on tv(not by choice but because its so popular back east and is always on the hunting channels that I watch) I just think that Utah turkey hunting might be a little different due to the different terrain.

any tips on calling, locating and general info for turkey hunting at any location in this state would be much appreciated.

Hope everyone has good luck this year and for myself, I will need all the luck in the world being a newbie to the sport this year.

PS anybody going to the banquette??
[cool]
[signature]
Be as still as possible, any little twitch will send them running. Go scouting before the hunt, they are in full Strutt right now so go look for them. Watch for tracks and sign and practice calling. For a beginner, I would reccomend a box call.
Also make sure to cover your whole body in camo, including your face, hands, and gun. These turkeys really have X-ray vision. It's a hard hunt on Public land, but really fun.
Good Luck[Wink]
[signature]
I drew, and this will be my 1st time too.

Good luck! [Smile]
[signature]
My 13 year old son and I put in and he drew out for Wasatch. His first. Luckily I have some great experienced friends that are "guiding" him. Should be exciting and we are both looking forward to it. They claim its super easy and they call them in as big as volkswagons. [shocked] Their words, not mine. I am sure thats grossly exagerated, but should be fun. Find some experience to go with if possible, and have a great hunt!
[signature]
I drew a tag also, this will be my 1st year hunting them too. I don't know much about it other than what I have seem on TV. I just order some equipment calls, vest decoys and new camo gear. Hope it coming soon I want to pratice calling. I drew out for Fillmore unit I am going to scout next weekend and try to learn something about it. I have been jonesing to get out after the $hity waterfowl season. I think I am set but for my gun is not camo.
I will chime in after my scouting trip. The only tip I could give is where I got my new equipment they have some pretty good deals (wing supply.com)
[signature]
I put in for that area also. Did not draw. I know where lots of turkeys are down there, but it is all private land. My buddy has a house in Holden and knows a lot of people down there so he has some pretty good spots.

Some things that I learned that might help while your scouting. A guy told me to find the turkeys by using locator calls. That would include anything that might startle the turkeys into gobbling like of coarse a turkey call, crow call, owl hoot, peacock call, he even told me slamming the truck door will get a location gobble sometimes.

I have a later season hunt it starts in May. I was also told that it would be more like an ambush hunt with on;y one chance to get them. So I am giong to roost them into trees the night before and camp out in the area. Wake up and be nearby the roosted turkeys and sneak into them well before dawn. As I understand they will fly down from the roost and check out the decoys with the help of some light hen calling.

Like I have said this is going to be a learning experience for me. I am already getting excited. I will take a couple of scouting/fishing trips very soon. I will also try a mock hunt without a gun in april.
[signature]
This will be my second Utah turkey hunt this spring. I am hunting the early cache unit.

Pre-Season scouting is key. Locate a few flocks, then go. I have a few places I am thinking about and hope to get out a few times to scout. I want to avoid other hunters!

I don't think they are as wary as a public hunt (not LE). However, I could be wrong..... They may be more wary
with increased tags and pressure.

However, when I hunted them, and when my dad hunted them a few years later, they were not that bright. It is a fu hunt and I am sure you will enjoy it.
[signature]
Drew out again this year. This will be my second hunt. Shot my bird 7 days in to the season last time, it was my sixth day on the mountain. Since then, three family members have drawn out and bagged toms a lot quicker due to some basic things we've learned from that hunt.

1st lesson learned was scout, scout, scout. Take the time to pattern the birds and don't be afraid to ask the "locals" for hints if your unit is far from home. Most people will be willing to let you know whatever they know.

2nd Lesson was to keep field calling to a minimum before opening day. This is just personal opinion but, my first hunt, I didn't take a trip without my calls and had to call wherever I was. Avoid this temptation. IMO It only serves to wisen up the birds to the drill. Since that first year I take my calls out on the first scout of the year(usually a month before the opener) and call in places that I feel I'm less likely to hunt (turkeys behind fences with no trespassing signs posted are my favorite! "No trespassing", not "no calling", right [Wink]). Call at home as much as you can (your family will beg you to stop, but don't!). Sitting on the couch watching turkey hunting shows is an ideal environment! It gives you a good variety of sounds to mimic and a fair range of responses to observe and learn from.

3rd lesson, calls that require less overt motion are ideal. Birds can be particularly weary of so good concealment ( both good camo and smart positioning) is a must. In-mouth calls are my personal favorite. I feel like I can control the volume of my calls a little better, as well as call with as little motion as possible. Gun mounted pull-string box calls are easy and covert but IMO don't always allow for as much versatility and as authentic a sound as I like. Box friction calls and Slate calls are my favorite to play with, but require a good deal of obvious motion to make work. So I usually put them away when the birds start closing in. I like a shaker gobbler call for location as well.

And finally, (at the end of this opinionated novel) be patient and have fun. Turkeys can be incredibly savvy and smart birds. IMO There is nothing more exhilliarting or fun than bringing in a big tom in full strut. Get out deep in the woods and have a good time.
[signature]

[signature]
Thanks for the in depth expressions of information. It is well taken into account. I hope for some luck on finding them while scouting!!
[signature]
Thanks for your help! [Smile]
[signature]
I didn't make it out to scout this weekend going this week if the weather lets me. I have some friends that know where to hunt that's why I but in for the unit.

This months field and stream talks about the tatic your talking about and some others check it out if you can.
Good luck!
[signature]
im not from utah but the way we hunt them is get out before daylight with a crow call at the break of day light before they come out of the roost they will answer this call then you set up close to were they answered before they come out of the roost have one guy 20 to 30 yards behind you with a hen call preferebly a slate call you get hidden and wait for him to come to the call...they dont always come so good luck
[signature]
I am giong to get some decoys I think. I am not sure if I should get a tom, or hen. I have a swagger reed call that I have been practicing but I am not sure if this imitates the hens or a strutting tom. I am also realizing that the area I am going is going to be tougher weather conditions than I thought. I am going to have to hope some land owners will allow me on edge of their fields. That is where I have seen them before. Who knows maybe that boulder will have partially thawed out by May.
Most likely not.

Where are you from that you used to hunt turkeys?
[signature]
I live in the Fillmore area. If you don't find them send me a pm. There are tons of turkeys in that unit. I've drawn out twice now (not this year) and spent a total of about 1 hr. hunting all together. My best advice- scout. Drive the canyon roads right at dusk and watch where they are roosting (in the cottonwoods). Go back in the morning and watch when they leave the roost. They follow the same general path almost every day. Find a good spot along that path and be there before light on opening day. Don't call or make any noise at all. They'll come by on their way to feed. 100% success rate so far.
[signature]
im from michigan..a few siple clucks and purrs is really all you need to draw them in dont overdo the calling or try to get to fancy..dont do anything but pretend to be a female turkey ..there not dumb..locating the bifds should be the first job,,be out in the area just before dark when they roost.. they will always send out locating call to the rest of the flock before bedtime..they will do the same before they come out of the roost in the morning..during the the day they will answer to a gobble call..they wont come to it..sometimes you can get in front of them and cut them of ..this takes luck....if you get a gobbler call to locate and able to get close enough for them to here your hen call you have a chance..locating them just before dark by lisining fur them and flaning were to set up before day light in the morning is a pretty sure way..
[signature]
Thanks thinking about coming down to scout Tuesday.
I will PM for more details DC!
[signature]