Fishing Forum

Full Version: INCREDIBLE WOLF PICS--NORTHEASTERN WYOMING WHERE I HUNT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just got this email from my cousin who live in Buffalo Wy. I hunt this yearly and have never seen a wolf. I have hunted all around the ranch mentioned. wow see the email story below and the pics...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"May want to pay attention while playing in the mountains!

Sandy Ward was up in the mountains and saw wolf tracks. The next day he went to the same area and saw a dead elk that had been killed (he figured by the wolf). So he informed Dan Thiele about this and a trailcam was set up. Cool yet kind of scary pics!!

Trailcam on an elk kill just above Paradise Guest Ranch.

Subject: trailcam pictures

Thanks for enabling this series of photos to document wildlife activity
most people never see. Four species over 5 days. It's interesting to
look at the dates/time on the series of photos 202-212.

Also of note, the first lion photo taken after we left the site was on
3/24 @ 5:47 pm.

DAN

here are the pics.....
[signature]
WOW. That was real neat to see. I can t believe that one with the cat pulling those two hind quarters up like that. That cat was pretty lean looking two.

Thanks for sharing those.
[signature]
Very cool pics!! Looks like a popular eating joint!![crazy]
[signature]
That was great, glad you posted them.
[signature]
My dad and uncles have hunted this area for over 40 years and me 25yrs and we have never seen any tracks ever of wolf. This is just above Buffalo WY on Highway 16. I will have to pay better attention this Oct 15 when I start hunting for my cow elk..... The last three cow elk I tagged were within 1 - 2 miles from Paradise guest ranch.
[signature]
[quote BigBassaholic]My dad and uncles have hunted this area for over 40 years and me 25yrs and we have never seen any tracks ever of wolf. This is just above Buffalo WY on Highway 16. I will have to pay better attention this Oct 15 when I start hunting for my cow elk..... The last three cow elk I tagged were within 1 - 2 miles from Paradise guest ranch.[/quote]That would be because the Bighorns are just starting to see wolves reach the area from the original Yellowstone reintroduction that took place in the mid '90s.
[signature]
Nice pics!! Here's a question, which wins out of a lion and a wolf? Not talking a pack vs a lion just a one on one lion vs. wolf. Anyone know. I would guess the lion.
[signature]
I graduated from High School there in 1983, and have numerous relatives that lived their whole lives there. This is the first time any of them have seen wolves.... We camp in the mountains for weeks at a time and have yet to see a track...... I would stay out till dark and then walk back several miles to camp in the dark. wow We have met mountain lions before but never wolf........
[signature]
I am not shocked at all that no one in your family has seen wolves no matter how much time you or they spend in the woods.

Outside of Yellowstone National Zoo, wolves actually try and avoid contact with humans and the areas that humans would inhabit. Plus I doubt that there are very many < than 10 that may be in the whole range at any given time.

But they are there and they have been confirmed to have been there for the last several years through livestock depredation. I also have family that live in Ranchester and some of the ranchers in that area have lost sheep due to confirmed wolf depredations as far back as 2005.
[signature]