Fishing Forum

Full Version: 2009 Shed Hunt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Me, Flycastin, and another guy got to our area around 7:00 and started the nasty hike up the mountain. Once on top I spotted a few elk and then more and then even more. We estimated about 200-300 head of elk up there with a bunch of bulls still packing antler. We decided to let them move on and then go search the area for early shedders. We immediately found two nice browns, a five point and a six point. We had not even got to the area the elk were in and had already found some nice sheds.
We continued on hoping to find a bunch more sheds, but only found one more old rag horn. Once we started down the mountain we picked up a few deer antlers and called it a day. All together we found 4 elk and 3 deer in 7 miles of hiking. Once again, I did all the research and my friends find all the antlers. Oh well, maybe next time. [crazy]
[inline "EC six point.JPG"]
[signature]
Nice horns i like it! That looks like a pretty fun time i'm gald you got into some decent horns!
I went steelheading again instead...but my buddy Tyson decided to skip the opening day rush and didn't go on a WMA> Here is how he was rewarded with a bull about 360"...its even a year old and nobody found it! What a pig of a bull... i'm so jealous![shocked]
[signature]
Nice find Matt. Looks like the hike paid off.
[signature]
Somenice brownies and a good hike. What a way to do a Saturday! Good on ya Matt! [cool]

Thanks for sharing
[signature]
Don't feel too bad you didn't find any, my family and I put on a good hike Saturday morning and didn't find anything but tracks. We saw tons of tracks but no sheds. I'm hoping that they are still packing after I read your post about seeing some still packing. I was pretty dissapointed that we didn't see anything because I know there are tons of animals that winter in this spot.
Maybe next week will be better!
[signature]
I think most are still packing, we would have found a bunch more if they had dropped. The ones we found were about as fresh as you can get, One still had blood on the end of it. I'm going out again today to see if I can find a stinkin antler!!! [cool]
[signature]
I agree 'Jaw...I'd say over 50% are still packing...I was just checking a herd out up here yesterday with the scope and the bigger bulls had dropped, one had 8" velvet nobs coming out already....but all the smaller bulls were still packing! I guess i've still got a shot a some afterall!
That pic that you posted inline....is that where you found that shed on the ridge like that? that is a way sweet shot!
[signature]
Even some of the bigger bulls are still packing. I watched a decent six point on Saturday and he still had both.

Lets get out together this week and find some, I really need to find me some elk sheds. I'm sick of getting skunked after I do all the research and mapping. Maybe you can show me around the Cache [Wink]
[signature]