Fishing Forum

Full Version: Boat safety inspection
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been looking for the post on what the boat safety requirements are and i cant find it. Can anyone help by posting the link.
[signature]
The DNR officer checked us a week ago at Willard after we pulled the boat out...so here's exactly what he checked for.:

-Proof of registration and insurance...(have your registration and insurance card for the boat in the boat)
-Placement of registration numbers on boat
-PFD devices for everyone on board (wanted to see)
-Tossable 'certified' type IV cushion
-Fire extingushers (FE)...look on the bottom of the FE for 2-digits...this is the year (04 means 2004) of manufacture and the FE is good for 10 years from that year stamp or must be replaced upon any use
-Bilge pump or some kind manual bailer (if you have a bilge pump they'll ask to turn it on so they can hear if it's working)
-Oars
-Horn and/or whistle
-Navigation lights (out after dark)
-Boat capacity sticker

Once he was done he gave us a copy of the completed checklist to place in our boat.

Hope this helps you out. [Smile] [Smile]
[signature]
Thats were i plan on going sunday and i know they are strict there about the rules. So what exactly is a Tossable 'certified' type IV cushion ? And do you need more than one fire extinguisher?
[signature]
[url "http://stateparks.utah.gov/stateparks/boating/publications.html"]http://stateparks.utah.gov/stateparks/boating/publications.html[/url]
[signature]
According to the link below fire extingushers are not due for 12 years from the date they were manufactured. I have heard several people that have been checked by the DNR say it is ten years, I wonder why they are saying some thing different than what the law is[:/]. I think I'll give them a call and find out what the deal is. WH2
[signature]
WH2...well that's what the DNR guy told us...so kinda interesting...plus the profession I'm in...FE 10 years old get replaced...has to do with hydrostatic checks on the bottle themselves including the life expantancy of the FE contents...guess a FE 10+ years old probably wouldn't hurt to get it replaced IMHO...[Smile] [Smile]
[signature]
So, since I know I don't have a bildge pump hooked up, what sort of penalty is there if they inspect me and I don't pass on everything? Is it a warning, or do they give you a fine, or just tell you you're not allowed to go fishing until it gets fixed ?

Thanks,
Curtis

PS: I plan on fixing it, but it may not be for a little while..
[signature]
Here you go.

http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/Boating/images/pfd.jpg

The throw in my boat just looks like a seat cushion,but the round donut type with the rope are more popular,remember to have easy access to it or they will fail you.[Image: bobwink.gif]
[signature]
Can you use a manual bailer like a coffee can, small bucket, etc???...that should be good-enough to pass.

I don't think they'll let you launch if you have nothing to bail your boat out with. But that's if they check you prior to launch...if they check you after launch you'll probably get a warning...cuz maybe the bilge just broke that day...[sly]
[signature]
I was there the same day as fishinfool. I bought a new boat the week before and I wanted to take her for a test. Mr. Officer wrote me up for a fire extinguisher that was in date but below the good charge. He also got me for no throwable cushion (you can find them at walmart) He did make me turn on the bilge, lights, honk the horn and checked for insurance as well as checked for jackets. All of the findings he wrote as a warning, but did he give me a ticket for registration. I thought I had a grace period after a purchase to get it put in my name, but I guess I was wrong.

Other than that, she ran cherry!!!
[signature]
[quote whit210]I was there the same day as fishinfool.

You must mean the new guy fishin__fool.[fishin]

fnf[cool] hasn't got it wet yet. ha ha.[sly]
[signature]
Sorry, replyed to the wrong post. My bad.Should have replyed to k2.
[signature]
Not a problem.[Wink]

I will be out there Sunday I should pass the inspection if I get checked.

fnf[cool]
[signature]
Do all boats need a throwable cushen, or is it for a certain size of boat, or what?
[signature]
jp,

The way I interpret what he said to me was that all vessels needed a throwable. An extra vest does not count. Must be the type 4.
[signature]
Boats 16 feet or more in length must carry at least one Type IV - Throwable Device, U.S. Coast Guard approved PFD, within easy reach of the operator or passenger(s) on board.
[signature]
MuskyHunter is right on the money,Dont tuk it in under the deck or under a seat,It has to be out in the open and within arms reach or they will fail you.
[signature]
The regulation I find offensive is the registration of outboards over 50 hp but an I/O pays nothing! What's with that? Ya, Ya, Ya, I know, an outboard supposedly can be switched from boat to boat, blah, blah, blah...

I'd like to see someone take my 115 four stroke and switch it to another boat. After they found a crane to remount the 450 lb motor, they'd be there another day hooking up the control box, cables, and ignition. Not much quicker than switching out an I/O with the right equipment!

UNFAIR!
[signature]
Hey,Rich
They changed that? At least down here in SLC 2yrs ago after people got pissed off.
Now I just pay one fee to register my boat and motor,I still have the sticker on my outboard though and dont know if it is necassary to have it on there still but I was really upset when they told me I had to register both.Glad when they switched back,but it is more now to register my boat I think it's 96.00 now for a 17' boat.When they where going back I registered my canoe which is 17ft also and they tryed to charge me that rate.They got that straightened out and sent me a refund the next year.
[signature]
Well, let me rephrase this. I believe outboards over a certain horsepower have to be titled and are taxed separately from your boat registration every year? Don't you have to carry proof of this on your boat? Anyone?
[signature]