Fishing Forum

Full Version: Ice off
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hey all, ice off is right around the corner. I was wondering what some of your best tactics for fishing the ice edges of some of he bigger bodies of water, the berry in particular. Having lived near that lake I have some fond memories of ice in the line guides suddenly being shook loose by a monster trout looking to destroy my bugger. I am anticipating getting out and ontot he water this year, hoping to set some new bests on the fly rods.
[signature]
I am soooooo excited. Got the new ride and ready to put it to work!
Come on Strawberry. Now if the temps would stay up for a little more than a couple of days.
This almost 80's one day and 50's next really sucks.
[signature]
Just my 2 cents but an olive bugger is hard to beat for browns and rainbows but black seems to work just as well most of the time. Don't hesitate to have some brighter colors like white and chartreause, and a chartreuse flashy bugger is a cutthroat killer. If they're really picky use some wooly worms in smaller sizes and you can't go wrong.
[signature]
I agree with you there. dark is usually the ticket, but when things are getting finicky I have this bugger I tied, its olive on the top, has a orange fading to pink mid section and a white bottom, I call it my rainbow minnow. It is deadly when other stuff just isnt working.
[signature]
I agree on the black, AND Burnt Orange. Two of the most productive colors for me, but WHITE always surprises me on the Berry.
[signature]
In about two weeks you should try chartreuse buggers and, especially, chartreuse and orange combinations on sinking line at Jordanelle. Rainbows and cutties love them and smallmouth will take them too.
[signature]
We need a get together ICE OFF at Jordanell.
[signature]
Amen sister! I hope I get to hit the water with you this year because I know you are as dedicated to fishing as I am. I am stuck to the bank because my finances are limited but I do really well because I have the knowledge. I know that you are seriously good at what you do because I have read your posts and I know that you are a really good angler and there's nothing more fun than going out and hitting the water with someone that expands your knowledge. Let's face it, catching fish is just good clean fun and 10 percent of the fishermen, or ladies in your case, catch 90 percent of the fish. I do alot of spin casting and I will always use spinning gear, but I think that catching fish on a fly rod is the most fun. I don't have a float tube but I do have waders and, honestly, I catch more than my share of fish and if we combined our effort on the water I think we could tear em up... released unharmed of course.[Wink]
[signature]