Fishing Forum

Full Version: I read an old post about tippet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The post made me curious about using the 100% fluoro P-line as a leader/tippet while fishing still water.
It made sense that you would not need a tapered leader while fishing under the surface. Would you just use the P-line or equivelant as the leader and tie the nymph, chironomid, whatever right to it without adding anymore tippet?
[signature]
I do I found P-Line Evolution has a smaller diameter then the others of course I haven't tried them all but for still water I peel out about 9 feet and tie the fly right to the line.

Also depends on the size of fly your using works great with size14 and 16 flies anything smaller and you may want to tie on smaller tippet just so the fly looks more natural
[signature]
What sinergy said for sure. But I have never fished smaller than a 16 in stillwater, you never know.
Another great choice, lately I have been using Seaguar Fluorocarbon. I really like it.

One thing....if you have a molded loop in your fly line, you will want to make a small BUTT section out of 20lb or larger. Put a loop in both ends of a 4" to 6" piece. Reason - the 4lb, 6lb, 8lb, fluorocarbon you will be using will CUT the molded loop causing the line to fill with water.
You could also take a heavier piece of mono and put a loop in one end then surgeon's knot it to a length of Fluoro to eliminate one loop...does that make sense?
[signature]
That makes perfect sense.
I will give this a try for sure this weekend.
Im also going to try using the loop connections more and tying a perfection or surgeons loop to the flys.

Think I would be ok with 6lb as an all around line?
[signature]
It works for me on every case EXCEPT them dang Grass Carp. I had to kick it up to 10lb on them LOL
But all the big trout I have caught has been on 6lb. Even the Carp out of Utah Lake. But the rod has allot to do with it.
If you have a stiff or fast action rod, you can tend to break off more.
[signature]
Well, everything I have for flyfishing has been bought and matched as I went along. I have done more research in the last week than in the past two years. Ive pretty much made the decision that fly fishing is going to be the way I fish.
The rod I have is just a cheap #5 8' pflueger purist that I bought in Montana as a replacement on a trip. I read that it is considered soft-action.

I have not really read much on the rods.......more flies and tactics at this point.

Thank you for the info so far. This site has been really helpful.
[signature]