Fishing Forum

Full Version: where are the Bass??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is my first real year fishing utah hard, only have lived here for 2 years. I use to live in Iowa and grew up a few blocks from the Mississippi River and i love to bass fish. i tried the whole trout fishing expeirence but i wanna go for some nice largemouths.. anyone got any advise where to go and what they may like there? ive been using rapalas for the most part this year and works well on the trout but im gettin alittle anxious for a nice bass!
[signature]
[font "Courier New"][#000080]I'm probably not the best person to give advice, as I've only been fishing for a year (and mostly only in warm weather and at community ponds).[/#000080][/font]
[font "Courier New"][#000080]Last May, Bassrods and I went to East Canyon. Caught quite a few bass (I don't know what kind) on plastic grubs...green worked, even though he claimed they like pink - and we didn't get a single bite on pink! LOL[/#000080][/font]
[font "Courier New"][#000080][/#000080][/font]
[font "Courier New"][#000080]He caught some from shore, while waiting for me to arrive, near the boat launch, then we caught the rest trolling and casting into the shoreline.[/#000080][/font]
[font "Courier New"][#000080]I haven't the foggiest idea if it'll be like that this year. But maybe it's a starting point?[/#000080][/font]
[font "Courier New"][#000080]Good luck![/#000080][/font]
[signature]
so far this year i have caught 4 large mouth in utah lake on one outing and two at deer creek at both places useing plastic grub with some chartruse in them. though the two at deer creek were pretty small.. water temps need to come up a bit more for some more activity with the bass. Get some more days like today and it wont be long. Im in the same situation i just came like 2 years ago from arizona.. you have to have a special stamp on your license to even fish trout. I am still trying to nab my first walleye. anyway hope this helps![bobWink]
[signature]
Slow is the key right now. I caught 19 largemouth between 12" and 17" last Thursday, and most came on a hula style grub crawled very slowly across the bottom, I often just shook it in one spot. Strikes were very light. I initially thought the perch were nipping at it, but it was actually the bass. I used a 6' 6" micro light rod with 6lb test to help me feel the light hits. This warm weather should get them taking jerk baits and other more active lures soon, but for right now I'd fish soft plastics slowly.
[signature]
It's a trip but Sand Hollow in St. George would be worth it right now. If smallies will take the edge off Jordanelle is loaded with them.
[signature]
Utah Lake has the best LMB in Northern UT. the "release all over 12" rule" keeps them there and the plentiful shore line vegetation give cover and carp babies feed them well.
Use the same methods you used in the back waters of the Miss. Think easy to find in murky water. Rapalas are to expensive for that. I stick to jigs with big trailers with lots of legs. Like Bush hogs, craws and beavers. Use scent sprays.

Smallmouth? Jordenelle, same kind of rules make for a lot of big fish.
Jordenelle is a fairly young lake and the bottom is covered with the same sage you see on the hillsides around it. Fish "Drop shot" style with rubber worms rigged wacky.
[signature]
Largemouth & Smallmouth Bass are in pretty much every lake below 7k feet. There are a few lakes with single species of bass:

Smallmouth Only:

Rockport, East Canyon, Newcastle

Largemouth Only: (I could be in-correct)
Hyrum, Pelican, Mantua

Both Species thrive in pretty much all the rest.

Largemouth Bass have been in Utah Lake since 1890. They are thick as thieves but you have to know how to fish muddy water.

PM me for a trip sometime.
[signature]
I have lived here in Utah for fours years and the best bass fishing for numbers is Mantua. I can all seem to catch at least one and when it gets a little warmer the action really heats up. Its a good place to go if you are fising from shore because you can fish a lot of productive areas. I've never caught anything over four pounds but always get bit there. I use everything from topwater to purple worms texas rigged. I think just about anything works there. One thing I will say though is there is tons of weeds there so be ready to talk some to find open holes.
[signature]
i would really like to hook up a trip for some bass. i have been having trouble fishing the muddy water of utah and could really use some tips. i have a boat if it helps. thank! steve
[signature]
Let's Go!
[signature]
thank you guys for all the replys, im thinking about hitting pineview or willard monday, maybe even tomarrow if i get time! but it is appreciated, thank you all
[signature]
Let me know when you are ready. I fished Mantua from the bank today and caught 14. Not very big but I did get one 3lber which was a surpirse. Lots of fish on beds and male bass protecting. Best five fish went a little over 8 pounds. Good morning but you can do a lot better from a boat. Good luck and PM if you are headed out and need some company. I just sold my boat since I'm transferring in a little over a month and bank fishing just ain't the same. Good luck if you go out!
[signature]