Fishing Forum

Full Version: Fish?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Could anyone tell me where a good place to catch some fish is? We are not having very good luck this year. My 11 year old daughter is just starting to enjoy fishing, so i would like to take her somewhere where she can catch some. We went to strawberry the last two weekends, she caught one cutt the first weekend and a bow and a chub the second week, but we havent been able to catch more than a couple each the entire day. My dad went to Yuba and got skunked, we went to elle and we just cant seem to find them. Some help would be appreciated. We do have a boat, so we're looking for somewhere by boat. Thanks.
[signature]
Deer Creek has been good for Rainbows and an occasional Brown and maybe a Walleye. Last 2 weekends we have been catching all of them. Rapalas and worm harnesses with nightcrawlers. West of the island river channel 10 to 20 down
[signature]
Thank you for the reply. My dad has tried there too with no luck lol....but this was weeks ago, im sure its changed since then. He thinks we're having such bad luck because he named his new boat wrong lol.... We also have to figure out where to go this weekend that wont be crazy busy with the holiday. Its just so exciting to see her catch a fish and watch her get excited, i wanted to take her somewhere she could catch lots. Thanks for the tip.
[signature]
If you want to catch lots of fish go to utah lake the white bass are biting like crazy! You can catch over a hundred if you find were they are and the fishing will be non stop. You dont even need a boat this time of year they can be caught close to shore. I was out at lincoln beach last saturday and we got tired of catching them. Also i do really good at the berry with a white tube jig tiped with chub or some crawdad smelly jelly. I rarely troll unless its super dead then i use orange color rapalas and anything silverish or chrome i have caught my biggest fish there with chrome . Good luck this weekend.
[signature]
Thanks for the tip. We tried tube jigs at berry, but with worms. Going to have to try the other stuff. The repala's have been all we have been able to catch anything with so far there. My dad's been kinda bummed too because he hasnt been fishing for a few years and hasnt had much luck so far this year. My brother on the other hand, has been fishing in the rivers and has been catching them like crazy. Last weekend while we were being bored at berry, he was at current creek having a ball. Ill have to talk to my dad about utah lake, not sure that would be the best one to go to this weekend tho, with the holiday. WFS says flaming gorge is hot now, we're going there in July, hope it is still.
[signature]
I'd advise against Yuba, its not for the faint of heart and can fool anyone. Even some guys that have fished it for years, go out to get skunk all over them there. Although the pike bite is upon us there now.

If you're just after catching for the little one I'd advise a community pond. You can usually get into the fish without a whole lot of time and effort there.
[signature]
I'd try trolling East Canyon. The DWR has stocked an ungodly amount of trout due to one of their hatcheries going down. I talked to one of their workers the other day and they said they caught a lot of fish in their nets.
[signature]
[fishin] so what are the white bass biting on? and what part of lincoln beach! id love to catch 100 white bass ive never caught one let alone 100! lol tips are appreciated
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That was last week's news. The white bass bite has crashed the last few days. The monsoon pattern winds and thunder have unsettled them and they have moved back out to deeper water...at least temporarily.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe and I are gonna give it a try Friday morning and will post a report.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, for anybody who wants to try it themselves, there are several potential good areas around Lincoln Beach. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. Along the outside points of the dikes along the boat channel.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. In the little shallow bay to the south of the boat channel...right next to the reeds. Some good cats on bobbers in there too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]3. All along the shallow edges of the reed shoreline to the south and east.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]4. The mouth of Benjamin Slough.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]5. All along the rocks and reeds around the point to the north and on toward Goshen. If you are in a boat, be careful of the shallow rock ledges. It is high water now, with fewer hazards, but there are some "hidden treasures".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Fish almost any kind of small jigs...plastic or feathers. Tip them with a bit of worm or fish meat. Small spinners in both gold and silver work well too. If you have a spinner with chartreuse or fire tiger those hot colors work well in stained water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When the whities are in, they will be in shallow water...sometimes in only a couple of feet of water. But, 3 to 4 feet is a good place to start. Once you find a school it will be ON.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yea we've had hit and miss luck in Yuba before. I really dont want to do a community pond. She wants to learn to FISH like her grandpa. She really likes fishing with the repallas.
[signature]
Well there is some great stuff fairly close to you. Not talking about community ponds, its just a matter of hitting them with either someone who's a regular there or getting some good insight from someone before you head out. Kinda takes the learning curve out of new water. If you need any help for the other side of the mountains yell at me and I'll help ya out.
[signature]
Quote:Last weekend while we were being bored at berry, he was at current creek having a ball.

Sooo, why not Current Creek? Road and ramp not open?

As for attempting to find solitude on Memorial Day weekend, you are setting yourself up for failure; it ain't gonna happen.

Fish on...
[signature]
My brother was fishing in the river at current creek. He tried the reservoir and had more luck in the river. Not really trying to find solitude, I just know that places like Utah Lake will be more busy during the holiday weekends. No matter where you go its going to be busy, but i think UL will be crazy busy.
[signature]
Thank you all for your replies. Havent done much early spring before so having a hard time finding the fish. Think we're going to try berry again. The good thing about berry is its not much of a play place, so you're not fighting the waves of the skiers. Maybe we'll hit mud creek first where we caught all the chubs before (the highlight of our last trip) and use some of the meat for bait. We didnt try the narrows last time, so maybe we'll have to hit there too. Some people said they caught alot by the ladders last weekend, but we were there and didnt catch anything there. Guess we just need to figure out what we're doing wrong. [Wink] My daughter caught the first one. Maybe i need to take lessons from her. [sly] Ill let you guys know how we do. Suppose to be skattered thunderstoms so hopfully its not too bad. Thanks again.
[signature]
I had nothing on UL last couple days, so wait till it warms a bit, I think....
[signature]