Fishing Forum

Full Version: Big Cottonwood Creek 05/31
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On May 31, 2009 at about 7:00 PM my wife and I drove up Big Cottonwood Canyon about 9.2 miles from the corner at Wasatch and E Big Cottonwood Canyon Rd. I'm sure regulars to that canyon will know the spot immediately, a vast wonderland of pools and flowing water for fish to hide and frolic in [laugh]. One of those spots where if you see it you HAVE to stop. [fishon]
We started setting up when a fellow angler stopped by to tell us about small pickin's at Silver Lake, that he heard it hasn't been stocked yet, that there was even some ice in there and how it was supposed to be colder than even the water coming into it. In addition to all these tidbits of information he also mentioned how he was at this particular spot not less than an hour ago and had no bites at all.
After debating with my wife if we should just run up to Silver Lake I just told her to drop her line and we'll hang out for a few minutes to give it a shot. With the guy right there next to us she drops in half a night crawler and shortly after pulls out a 6 to 7 inch brown trout. It was in the pool right at our feet. I wasn't watching but my wife said the look on that guy's face was priceless. This was no longer than 2 minutes after he said that [laugh].
We hung around a bit longer but after losing a few rigs and fishing being a bit tight for 3 people we took off down the canyon in search of other choice spots. Found one that that had a few people there but it was maxed out. Then again I'm pretty new to fishing so what I feel comfortable fishing is pretty limited.