Fishing Forum

Full Version: Mantua 7/5 with the First Mate
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My wife is not fisherwoman, having given it up years ago when I set her up with an ultralite rig and took her out in the Portabote on Trial Lake. Her first cast - that left the boat - got a fish on. Unfortuately it was an albino trout and she has used fear of "devil fish" as an excuse to avoid further expeditions.

Yesterday she decided to tag along in my "new" boat. I've had it three years but she'd never been in it. I took her to Mantua. She didn't fish but was pleasantly surprised at the stability of a bass boat and loved the "sunning deck" it has on the back.

Didn't get on the water until 9:00 - had to stop for breakfast, etc. that a wife expects. Only fished a couple of hours. Water was in the mid-70's. Beautiful day and only one ski boat for about 30 minutes.

My first time out this year, and I just started tossing what I'd thrown in the drink holder last year over by the knoll. The bass and perch loved the green w/red flake Gitzit tipped with a piece of worm, but I soon learned 4 lb line won't do when you hook a big'un in the weeds.

I decided to catch lunch so I found a hole in the weeds slightly off-line and about a third of the distance from the launch area to the knoll and started fishing the next thing I found in the drink holder, a small 1/32 chartreuse jig tipped with worm on a fly rod converted into a perch jerker.

Had a ball catching bass, 'gills and perch as fast as I got the last one off. Took a half dozen of the larger 'gills home for lunch. I was surprised to find eggs in two of them. I thought they would have been spawned out. Went to mark the spot and found it was the last one I'd marked last year.

Heading home past Willard, I mentioned to the wife that I'd never fished it but really wanted to give it a try after reading all the reports. She volunteered to be my first mate again next Sunday at Willard. She says that way I won't have performance anxiety since she never expects too much of me. Wonder what that meant?

Mike
[signature]
I would take that to mean, you can now slack off more and go fishing.

I recommend a cushin for the "sun deck" and fit an umbrella into the back seat holder for her.
[signature]
Congrats !!! on the catch ...

I was up there last Tuesday had the entire lake to my self up until around 10 am.

Gills are still spawning you can see there rounded out beds near shore lines. Tons of schools of baby LMB about 4 to 6 inches. I assuming with us having a late winter everything is pushed back a month or so.

Did the same kept a few or so of the bigger gills for the grill C&R'ed the only LMB we caught.
[signature]