Fishing Forum

Full Version: Out-of-Cycle Trip
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[font "Times New Roman"]Seeing a week or so ago we had some success for larger TMs, decided to do an out-a-cycle (not planned - no reservations) mini camp’n/fish’n trip to Pineview.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]So last Sunday 9 August took a drive up to Anderson Cove selected a come-as-you-are camp’n spot pitched the tent and we'd be back on Tuesday night after work.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Pineview water conditions:[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]From the previous cold fronts the water temp has dropped an overall 4* from two weeks ago. At launch water temp was 70* and off the water pushing 73*. Algae bloom has started but not bad because of the cooler temps. Water is becoming stained. However, you can still see down almost 3’-4’ in most areas. There is no obvious thermocline anywhere in water column. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]We’d be on the water by 8AM and off about 6PM each day. Yep we put some long hours in the boat on the water. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Throughout the day we’d take several shore breaks to stretch the legs and for Hershey to romp in the water. Her new water toy proved to be a hit.[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]Fish’n report:[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]We spent approx 27 hours on the water over this 3 day period. We employed a variety of lures, techniques, and of course the 3Ps (passion, persistence, and most of all patience). [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Found a lot of bait fish pods showing up on the fish liar. Within close proximity of these pods were larger fish. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Had one 9” SMB decide to take a troll lure. The lure was larger than this fish.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]I managed within a 15 minute time frame to catch three (3) LMB while casting right at the edge of the shore line submerged brush. Yes I did type LMB=Large Mouth Bass.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]PV does have a LMB populations. The LMB were nothing huge the largest was maybe 9”. As with the SMB the lure was almost as big as these fish. So I’m sure where there’s little LMB there’s bound to be larger ones. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]So after 2 days of fish’n we managed only 1 SMB, 3 LMB, and only 2 bumps on the trolls with one bump being a huge hit on the prop wash troll but no hook sets. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]We were literally scratching our heads as to what we’re doing wrong as far as TMs went.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]So on the last day we’re sensing a TM skunk coming. We’re get’n desperate now. Then we get a TM tease as we see a large one body surfing for a good 10 seconds.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]F-U-S-T-R-A-T-I-O-N is now starting to take a toll. We decide to bump up the troll speed and within 20 minutes I get a bump but still without a solid hook set. ARGH!! [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]We’re now doing everything and anything we’ve learned and can think of to prevent a 3 day trip without a TM….and for me my 3Ps were running out very fast on this trip.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Now I’d been toying all day long about using the offshore planer board allowing us to troll 4 lines (each of us has a 2-pole permit).[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]I discuss the planer board idea with fish’n partner and she says why not. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]I setup the 4th troll with the planner and a lure about 10’ behind the planner. I put the planner setup out about 50’ (no line counter on the reel). [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Then literally within 10 minutes after putting the planer board out the drag goes off. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]I grab the rod while fish’n partner does a super-great job of clearing 3 rods and then grabs the net. The fish has yet to surface and it’s one heavy fish as my rod is doubled over.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]The fish is running with the planer board totally submerged barely visible and a good 2-3’ beneath the water. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Get the fish to cooperate and head towards the boat close enough where I can hand the rod to fish’n partner so I can unhook the board from the line. We’ve yet to see the fish as it’s still down 10’. [/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]Then as she hands the rod back to me the fish takes another run under the boat towards back and the motors. I work to keep the line from get’n wrapped around the motors. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]The fish then surfaces about 15’ from the motors and it’s a huge TM. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Fish dives again taking out line. I get it turned around and finally bring it along side where it surfaces and fish’n partners gets it netted.[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]Fish measured right at 47” with a girth of 19.5.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]So we narrowly averted a TM skunkage over 3 days of solid fish’n. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]We fished for a couple more hours and decided to call it. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]As we’re heading in we’re watching this catamaran sailing and discussing what it’d be like to be on a catamaran when all of a sudden it tips over (answered that question). [/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]We head over and find both occupants wearing life jackets and were okay and just needed assistance to right the catamaran. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]I get on the cell and call the Weber County Dispatch. Within 5 minutes the Weber County Sheriff Marine Patrol was on the scene helping these folks get the catamaran righted. The Sheriff tells they got it and all say thanks to us and off we go.[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]I grill up our final dinner and had a great Rib-Eye steaks, with seasoned potatoes, carrots and zucchini fried in a titch of butter in aluminum foil on the grill and a slice of grilled 5 cheese garlic toast with carrot cake (not pictured) for dessert. [/font]
We sit around the ole campfire reflecting on this out-a-cycle trip and looking forward to our next ‘planned’ PV adventure in another couple of weeks.

Sure hope you all had a fantastic weekend and did whatcha enjoy doing...[Smile] [Smile]
[signature]
Great report there K2. Very nice read. But best of all, that is one awsome tiger musky. Your efforts (the 3-P's) were well paid for!
[signature]
wanted to be the first to say congrats your patience def. paid off here ! that is a beautiful tiger musky[Smile]
[signature]
mighty fine Musky you have there. Pineviewfisher
[signature]
Thanks for the report ladies ;0) I was up there Friday and had a 32" follower to the boat, and then nothing for several hours. Then I was working my lure back to the boat and about 25 feet away I saw a musky come up from the lower left and then my lure just disappeared. I set the hook, the fish "shimmied" as if to say "what was that?", so I cranked down and gave it another hook set. I had it to the boat in about 15 seconds, and would have got it netted had someone else been in the boat with me. When it got to the surface it must have realized it was hooked, and took off like a rocket away from the boat. Then it jumped out of the water and threw the lure right back at me! It was about a 35" fish. I fished for awhile longer, but no more interested parties. Oh well, it was very cool to see it come up and inhale that lure ;0) Fred K.
[signature]
Nice looking fish and lots of patience for sure. I am going to hit Newton with a friend on friday and troll for some Tigers. Hopefully I will have a nice report friday evening/saturday depending on when I get back.....
[signature]
Very nice fish. Thanks for the report and pictures
[signature]
Very nice fish. We were camping/fishing PV last week also, saw you on the water several times, we were in the little green/white crestliner. I'll give you credit for dedication, not sure how you stay on the water so long, we usually fish 8am-noon, then feel fried from the sun, go in and then fish a couple hours before dark. We boated several TM last week, but none over 40". We almost packed up and went home Friday night since I hate the weekend boat traffic, but made the mistake of staying until Saturday morning - well Friday night one heck of storm blew threw and there were very high winds Friday night from sundown until about 1am, I'm amazed our tents survived. Finally got to sleep around 2am only to be awakened by a big thunderstorm at 5am. Other than the final nights weather was a great week and I look forward to future PV trips.

John
[signature]