Fishing Forum

Full Version: any hints???????????????????????????????
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i was down fishing off of a small jetty this evening, there was fish every where BUT my hook, well i did have one small hit, this was in Narragansett bay and i was almost certain that it was stripers.
i tried everything i brought with me with little luck.
idid everything i knew to i was fishing every area thast a fish could possibly swim but mostly i fished the area around where i cold see a rip comming off the jetty.
ANY and i mean ANY help would be appreciated because i have limited time to fish because of homework so i need the best chance i have.
thanks
[signature]
There are a lot of things that come to mind as to why you didn't get a strike. Lucky for you, i'm in a typing mood and I have a little time. So...........................

First of all, was there bait fish jumping, schooling, or running around the jetties. Usually, there are some time of baitfish if there are larger fish feeding. What type and size of bait fish were they? Do you have a way to catch live bait, maintain it, and do you know how to rig it? You'll probably need a flow troll bucket at a minimum. A 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled in it attached to a rope to keep it from floating away works best. Especially for menhaden. Menhaden don't last very long in anything but large, round baitwells. And they need constant fresh water, so don't leave the bucket out of the water for long.

Were the gamefish feeding on top? If not, the next issue is finding out where in the water column they are feeding, and get your bait there. Once again, do you know how to rig your baits for different depths? Do you know how deep it is off the point you are fishing?

It's very possible that the fish you saw feeding were bluefish. Like stripers, that area is known for bluefish. Weakfish, sometimes mistaken for speckled trout a little further south, are also thick along rocks and eddies like you were talking. Try some downsized inshore tackle in the 12-15 pound class, and toss some lures along the rocks. You might be pleasantly surprised. Something like a 1/4 or 1/2 ounce jighead with a saltwater assasin soft plastic attached. If the tail starts getting bitten off, you're into the bluefish. Switch to a light steel leader and attach a gotcha plug or a spoon. Toss it and work it fast.

Weakfish are very good eatting when cooked fresh. They don't freeze very well, so don't bother.

Personnally, if I were fishing those rocks, i'd tie a fish finder rig on a 30 pound casting rig, use a 40 pound fluorocarbon leader, a 6/0 circle hook (depending on the bait size of course), and cast it out on the bottom with a live bait on the other end. It won't take long.
[signature]
for stripers i use 2 lures 1 is Cotton Cordell redfin red head white body you will need to doctor this a tad using visegrips and a needle heat the needle and put a hole behind the lip and 1st hook and 1/2" before tail hook. 2nd lure is a Bomber Long A fire minnow. i have caught thousands of stripers using just these 2 lures either from river fishing or beach and from jettys. the best time to catch big stripers is at night from 6pm till dawn hope this helps ya Doug
[signature]
i just wanted to let you know that i am almost certain that they were striped bass but i could not tell what bait they were going sfter because i only got a fleating image as it lept from the water
i think that they were just below the surface but it is only like 10-20 were i am fishing around it at high tide and some spots less so i dont have alot of ater to cover
i hope this is a little more information i hopefully am going back this evening and will try some buck tails with a plastic grub on it of some squid to hopefully get a better idea of what they are hitting.
thanks
[signature]
Bring some chopped bait as well and three way it. Could very well be blues. Tough to tell when they jump.
[signature]