Fishing Forum

Full Version: drumking, chickamauga, crappie, 11/13/09, Hal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Friday the 13th turned out to be an unlucky day for the crappie. For the conditions, we had a very good day. We landed 40 crappie, 1 drum, 1 smallmouth, 1 golden shiner, 1 spotted bass, and 2 bluegills. Hal almost had a TARP, but alas, it was 1/16 short of 14". My biggest crappie today was 13.5 inches. Hal caught the smallie and my pet drum and the golden shiner. I chipped in with 1 of the bluegills and several of the crappie.<br /><br />We launched from Tyner Lane this morning around 7:45 and ran upriver for a ways. Our first stop was to a dock that I had never fished before and it was in shallow water. Hal had caught a few fish off this dock in the summer time and although the water was only 3-4 feet deep and the current was flowing a brisk 94,000 cfs and pushing straight in on this dock, we wedged up against the dock and I made a 10 foot cast and caught 5 crappie in a row and 7 total before we left that spot. Talk about a surprise. I had no idea that the crappie were as shallow as this. We used this clue to sort of order our day. <br /><br />We left that dock and ran into a creek and caught fish in shallow water over brush. We saw Labman and Gator out there today and they had a few crappie when we talked to them. After we wore the creek out, we went back to the river and tried one deep spot, but all that was biting was 1 bass. A few more docks yielded shallow crappie on them. I think that most people were fishing deeper today. I talked to a few people today who were having a little trouble finding fish. We shared what we had learned with a couple of them and hopefully, they found fish.<br /><br />The hot lure today was the stubby butt in albino shad color. I also caught fish on BG shads in albino color as well. These two baits are extremely close in color. The stubby butt in 1/2 inch shorter than the BG shads. We only had about 2 or 3 throwback crappie today. We caught a bunch of quality 12-13 inch fish. I fished this color exclusively today and Hal was changing lures, colors, sizes, often but really didn't get on a hot bite until he put the albino color on and then he started catching fish like he is supposed to. Now before everone makes a run and buys out all the albino colors today or tomorrow, just remember. Don't fall in love with a particular lure or color. Tomorrow, the fish may not touch them and will be on red/chartreuse like gangbusters.<br /><br />Hal surprised me with a T-shirt today and a thank you card for helping him and Marty with the fish fry a few weeks ago. I wore it fishing today and it brought me good luck. I will wear it everytime now until I have another bad day. emoBigSmile emoGeezer