Fishing Forum

Full Version: When fish are hungry
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not sure what was going on but I was getting bite after bite when I was fishing at Coon Rapids Dam on the Mississippi River a couple evenings ago. I tossed in several different plastics, cheapo's that I've never used before.

One was a 6" white worm with a large flat tail on it, something that you'd think only bigger fish would go after. When I gave up trying to catch the fish on it, I noticed some tears and teeth marks in the long tail.

My second plastic was brown thing. Can't really describe it. Just... there. Lead-head jig and this brown plastic. Tossed it in, let the current toss it around, and bang! Pulled in about four smallies and one tiny walleye within 10 minutes.

Well, I decided to try something else. Another cheapo plastic. White shad with a red belly... makes it look injured. The smallies were just engulfing it! I was pulling the entire 4" plastic and jig completely out of their mouths even though I was reeling in as soon as I felt the bite.

These fish were either extremely hungry, or they didn't want anything near their area.
[signature]
you actualy stumbled on to a feeding frenzie period when they will hit anything that moves in the water.

I have seen this several times a year, there is a real big one is comming up soon. I have caught fish on just a sinker, (no hook) they grab on and wont let go. its wild to say the least.

I have seen days when the fish attack the hairs on my legs and toes while I am wading in the lake.

makes for some exciting action. hope you get on it again...
[signature]
hey there guys! that,s somethin! i never heard of that dave when there goin after the hair on your legs haha done that with the pumpkinseeds here though they go nutso! in a feedin frenzy. haha we don,t eat them. they,re a throw back. but fun to catch. fight pretty good.
[signature]
[Tongue] Hope you wear tight fitting shorts Dave ! lol
[signature]
LOL Flagman... you're horrible. [Tongue]

Feeding frenzy... I faced one of those with my buddy in his boat a couple weeks ago. With water seeping into the boat, fish jumping out of the water trying to grab the hooks, I never thought we'd escape alive! But the owner/operator insisted on staying with the fish instead of getting to dry ground. LOL. It was worth it.
[signature]