Fishing Forum

Full Version: camping at fairview need 2 know what lakes to fish up there
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wondering what lakes up there and what kinds of fish. Will be camping aug 1-2. Any fishing reports will be helpfull! Taking 6 kids fishing with me need to catch some fish any advice will be helpfull!
[signature]
I think that is one of fuzzyfisher's favorite areas. I could be wrong but Electric lake is up on top and I think Huntington reservoir is on the other side. If I'm right that is where you can catch those tiger trout. WH2
[signature]
You have lots of choices. Fairview Reservoir can be good, especially in the evening. Huntington has been really slow. I haven't heard any reports about Cleveland. Good reports from Millers Flat. I would pass on Gooseberry. The kids might enjoy the pond that you pass over the dam on the way to Fairview, and Boulgers can be good. Electric Lake is a definite possibility. Bottom line, many more choices than you can reasonably fish in only two days. If you want more specific information please PM me.
[signature]
Hey Ocean I grew up in carbon county and have spent alot of hours fishing the area.I asume you have some smaller children,so here is my advice.Rig your poles with a fly and bubble set up(kids won't snag up and usually produces best fishing especially in early morning and evening)try the lakes kent mentioned,millers flat,bouldger,benches pond,the latter 2 are right off the hyway just above electric lake which by the way can be excellant on a fly and bubble just prior to dark(larger cutthroats there)You also have potters ponds between cleveland and joes valley.My favorite at that time of year is an afternoon drive south from the top of fairview canyon on skyline drive(well marked)about 15-20 miles,after you see the forest service sign to joes valley from skyline continue on for 3-5 miles and you'll come across a couple of lakes right on top of the mountain.1 is called snow lake I don't recall the other.They don,t get the publicity but can be very good.There's also a lake called blue lake down a rough road about 3 miles from these lakes which produces som good size tiger trout(don't atempt with out 4x4 though or if rain is threatening)You can also try petes hole about 3-5 miles down the joes valley road.All these lakes are good to excellant especially for kids and the scenery is 2nd to none.Keep your eye's open for deer and elk,you'll see many.Good luck,let me know If I can help,and also how you do. Lonnie
[signature]
hey thanks for the info! dont know anything about flies any advice were i can get some and which knid? what type of leader to use? 6lb vanish will that work?
[signature]
hey thanks! now can u tell me how to get to those place. especially the perch pond. thanks
[signature]
hey dude's just got back from a 5 day 3 lake fishing trip.. 3 day's at fishlake..1 day at huntington.. one day at E-lake.. did realy well at all the lakes fish lake was the best.. then E-lake then huntington.. got lodes of fish at fishlake.. we got 9 tigers at huntington on a 1/16oz lead head with a worm slow trolled out in the midle a gold castmaster was working good for my buddy.. E-lake was hot as allway's there is some bigger fish showing up then in the last 2 months.. spiner and worm worm under a bobber worm on the bottom.minnow's on bottom and under a bobber and fly's will all work well at E-lake..

from the fuzzyfisher-----------------------fish on dudes
[signature]
Hey Ocean
I would still use a fly and bubble rig the last couple of hours before dark at any of the lakes mentioned.Pick up some floats(the clear plastic ones that have a slide tube in the middle,which allows you to fill them with water)Fill the bubble about 3/4 full of water(gives it weight for casting)slide the line through the bubble small end of the tube first,then tie on a swivel(the small end of the bubble needs to go first or the swivel will pull the slide tube out as you retrieve your line draining the water from your bubble)Then tie on 4'-6'of leader (6lb test is perfect)then the fly(renegade,royale coachman,masquido,adams,or anything with grey or black hackle,in a size 12-14)Ask sportsmans warehouse for recomendations,they are very helpfull.After you get riged up have your kids cast out and retrieve very slowly.This is a great way to get your kids hooked on fishing,they won't get impatient waiting on bait fishing(they love to cast and reel)and they won't snag your spinners on the bottom.And if the fish are rising they will hit fly's and your kids will have the poll in their hands so they don't miss the strikes.If you have smaller kids just help them with casts.I have 5 kids of my own, and I learned this is the best and easiest method to get them hooked. Good luck
Lonnie
p.s. give us a report on your return,and by the way millers flat may be your best bet with kids(fast action generaly)to get there from fairview stay on the paved road until you pass huntington lake on top then turn on the road which is marked joes valley/orangeville 21 miles, take this road (dirt but good) about 5 miles.The road goes right by the lake, you can,t miss it. There is a spring that runs into it about mid point(road crosses spring)fish near the spring inlet it's always good.
[signature]