Fishing Forum

Full Version: elk
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
it is almost pemit time,and i was wondering on some opions on the best unit for elk,my wife has 15 points for elk,and 14 for moose.ive put her in for san juan early,for the last couple years.and the cache unit for moose.looking forward to your input.
[signature]
I have not been on the San Juan.A friend at work drew it last year and shot a 340ish bull. A little tougher hunt than they were planning on. I have been on the Pahvant for 5 hunts and a 350 class bull is very do-able with the opportunity at bigger bulls. Pressure was up this last year but still an awesome unit with lots of visible bulls in the steep canyons.
I have seen some nice bull moose on the cache unit. The moose were hit really hard on both the cache and ogden river units a few years back with all the snow.( and transplants) If you can wait for the herds to build a little bit more it might be better than spending your points and settling on a smaller bull, there are still big ones out there, just less common than a few years back.
[signature]
[font "Helv"][size 2][font "Helv"][size 2]
I would echo what BottomWatcher said about both species. The Moose numbers are terrible this year and when you wait 14 years for a tag you want to make sure the conditions are perfect. That Said, I would buy your wife a point for moose and put her in for elk. She has a garanteed tag on many units in the state so make your selection carefully. Pahvant is a great unit, but there are a lot of other good units too. Beaver, Dutton, Monroe, Fishlake,Manti La Sal, Wasatch, San Juan, ect.
Are all good units. Not sure if you are familiar with any of the units, but I would do a bunch of research before applying. The Dutton produced some huge bulls last year, but the terrain is rough and it's hard to hunt. You want to make sure that you put in for a unit that has good access (Most wives don't want to hike 5 miles in).
I wish I had more experience on some of the units, but I have never drawn a tag so I can't help much.

Go to this site and click on the state of Utah. When the next screen comes up enter "Elk" in the Species section and then enter "15" in the points section. Don't enter anyhting in the unit or wepon sections. The odds for every unit in the state will come up and you will be able to see which units your wife can draw this year. She has a 100% chance on most units.
http://huntodds.monstermuleys.com/
Good Luck
[/size][/font][/size][/font]
[signature]
I would consider putting in for the Southwest Desert for elk. It has big bulls and doesn't get the pub that some of the other units do. It is also VERY big and has great access. A 350 bull down that way should be a slamdunk. I want to emphasize should though. It is also beautiful country. It is ALOT different than most people think when they here Southwest Desert.
thanks for the input.i have a friend that has property in anamonity,he killed a 404 bull 2 years ago but it is horseback,and i dont think shes into that anymore.my oldest boy drew deseret 2 years ago and killed a 340 great hunt they treated him just like a paying custumore,he had a great guide the bull he killled was 11 years old and stating to regress alittle,but they wouldnt let me go with him,with her they will let me go,i have heard some goood things on the southwest desert early hunt,oon the late hunt the bulls are purty broke up.done the book cliffs 7 years ago with a buddy we both drew ,great hunt but no monster bulls.so the moose on the cache had a bad winter kill? i know the deer took it bad.but then again the fish and game never done anything till it was to late.
[signature]
Not quite sure about the Cache unit, but the Ogden unit is total crap. I know that for a fact. The DWR has ruined that unit and it used to be one of the most desireable units in the state. I'm always out looking for game with my binos and spotter. I always see tons of moose on the Ogden unit. Guess how many I have seen this year?

ZERO!!!
[signature]
I would not waste points on the Cache unit. Over harvest
has reduced overall quality to what was, a great unit.

You can still kill a bull. However, I have not seen very many that will break 40". The moose hunt on the Cache is what the LE elk hunts will be in about 5-10 years (IMO).

If I had elk points, here is what I would look at:

1- San Juan (early)
2- Beaver

If I wanted an easy hunt, with a guaranteed 330-340" bull, I would apply for Deseret. Good luck and spend wisely!
[signature]
The Deseret woul be a very good experience but, like stated above, limited inches.

The Dutton is my favorite and I would hunt it again; given the opportunity. BUT, it is a very tough mountain.

For me that would mean SW Desert #1 because of access and trophy potential.
Pahvant #2.
[signature]
im realy thinking on so desert what is the access and terrain like?
[signature]