Fishing Forum

Full Version: New To Freshwater Fishing....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey yall,
I am just getting into freashwater fishing and I was thinking on purchasing a new baitcasting reel and then obvioulsy a rod. I would like to spend less than a 100 bucks altogether. Should I get a combo or buy the rod and reel seperate?

thanks for the help
[signature]
If you want to try and stay in that price range, I would suggest going with a combo. Mainly because it usually seems that you can get slightly better quality stuff for just a bit less then buying them separately. With that said, I think its going to be hard to get the higher quality rods and reels for that price. And from my experience with bait casters its usually better to buy the higher quality products. For example; I bought a reel for like 50 bucks and less than a week later it fell apart on me. So I went and traded it in for a better quality reel and have never been happier. Sometimes you do luck out thought and get a really great product for a really great price. Hope this helps.
[signature]
Thanks for the advice. I do have another question, what is a well rounded type of fishing line? I was amazed at the selection..... help is greatly appreciated
[signature]
Yes there is an enormous selection of line, its almost intimidating! Everybody on here will tell you there isn't one good all around line and that they each have their purpose, this is fairly true to. Mono is better for cranks maybe not so good for jigs and hitting heavy cover, braids are better for deep water jigging and that sort of stuff but braids are bad for cranks (no stretch) and Florocarbon is good for jigging and worm rigs and can be used for cranks but again low stretch in floro lines. I have never personally had experience with Florocarbon but I do have some waiting at my house to be spooled up and tried out this fishing season, which won't be for a few more months here in Utah.
Throughout my life I have been a huge fan of mono lines and that was exclusive what I used on my spinning set ups. Now I have fire line on one of my spinning set ups and really like that combo. I seem to use less cranks on my spinning gear for some reason, usually a fly and a bubble for trout.

Hopefully my rambling has helped you out some.
[signature]
I Really think that since you are just starting out go with mono line. It will do what you need it to do. may not be the best line for every situation but it will get the job done.

When i comes to a reel, i highly recommend buying a better reel. don't skimp and buy a cheap baitcaster. If you do all you are gonna get is a migrane. reason being is that the cheaper reals have cheap breaking systems in them and you will get a backlash alot more often, and being that you are still learning you may even get one every cast. i personally think you should go with a more expensive reel and save yourself the frustration. If you want a good reel that wont break the bank take a look at the Daiwa Exceller reel. costs around $80.00 and works better than most $150.00 reels i have. that will still leave you with $20 bucks and another 20 to that an you can buy a decent rod and you will be set! [Smile] Good luck.
[signature]
B1GF1SH,

I've always used mono line on my reels (open face reels). I recently have tried some of the different lines, spider wire, braided, combination line. I don't care for any of it. Every line has it's advantages but I really think that mono line is going to be your best bet for a broad range of locations and techniques until you decide to stick with a fishing style, technique or collect more rods and reels for tailored purposes. I use 10lb for bass and deep lakes and 6lb for everything else.

Also I agree that you should stick with a combo rod/reel to get the best deal. I usually go with a store brand (bass pro, cabelas, scheels) that has a lifetime quarantee. These aren't always the best rods/reels but if they break you know you can get a free replacement immediately with no questions asked. If you break an ugly stick or shimano you may be waiting for weeks to get a new one through the mail. Get something fancy later, for now get a pole in the water.

Good luck
[signature]
I use Zebco Omniflex. It is tough and cheap. I use 6 to 10 lb. depending on what reel I use and what species of fish I am after. [Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
I had the same issue going into this fishing season. I was looking at buying a nice newer baitcasting combo. I found the best one to be a Pflueger reel / All Star combo. I've casted it in the back yard a few times and the feel is great. I love it. It cost only 80 dollars as well at Gander Mtn. Also with the fishing line, I would start with mono as I believe it's one of the best all around lines, but in the future go towards flourocarbon.
[signature]
[quote B1gF1sh5]
I am just getting into freashwater <sic> fishing and I was thinking on purchasing a new baitcasting reel and then obvioulsy <sic> a rod.... [/quote]

I'd recommend buying a spinning reel. You can find tons of high quality reels for under $100. Whether you are new to fishing entirely or just freshwater, a spinning reel will be more versatile. It will allow you to cast both heavy and light baits. You will be able to easily switch out spools of different pound line test. Your reel be able to handle 6 to 12lb test. Use mono. If you are new to the sport, a baitcasting reel might be a real headache.

[quote B1gF1sh5]Should I get a combo or buy the rod and reel seperate? [/quote]

I don't buy combos personally - one component is usually suffering in quality. You should just get a [i]spinning reel[/i] and a properly balanced two piece spinning rod. The owner of the tackle shop will help you pick out a properly balanced outfit. I prefer a 6'6 medium powered rod and a medium fast action. It is a good all around multi-species rod.
[signature]
I don't know how much experience you have with a baitcast reel, so heres what i suggest: You can buy a combo ( or seperately ) for less than $100. Just do your homework. Also, Yes, start out with mono lin until you want to Tailor you fishing.
[signature]