Fishing Forum

Full Version: fun time on the Logan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey, I fished the Logan yesterday and did fairly well. I started out nymphing using a size 14 hare's ear but wasn't getting anything. I switched over to a size 16 midge and wound up catching 3, two beautiful browns and one rainbow trout (which for some reason hooked itself in the stomach[Image: dumb.gif]) It was not lightning fast, but it's pretty up the canyon right now, and there are fish that want to bite so check it out!
[signature]
a day fishing is better than a day not!
[signature]
I was up there yesterday too. I was going to fish the faster water, but I got distracted by the risers at 3rd dam. Midge emergers and pupa fished in the surface film did the trick. I need to practice my midge fishing though. I broke a couple off and missed a ton. I even had the mother of all whitefish come up and slurp my fly off the top. It was at least 20" and extremely fat. Sadly my tippet gave way when I almost had her. I think my light tippet may be getting a little old, that shouldn't have happened. Oh well, it's been a beautiful week to be outdoors for sure.
[signature]
I was also trying to fish the risers at third dam yesterday but to know avail....what is the trick to fly fishing that still water?
[signature]
You have to use long, light leaders, 5x or 6x, and small size 18 or 20 midge emergers or pupa fished right in the surface film. I hooked into them on a variety of flies. One of my favorites is Gary Lafontaine's Halo Midge Emerger. I also had them hit some more simple flies that were just a goose biot wrapped up the shank of the hook with a little head made of peacock hearl or deer hair clipped tight. I didn't have very many as I don't midge fish much, and the fish popped most of them off, but that was pretty fun, so I went out and got some size 20 emerger hooks today. I'll probably head up there again next week if the weather is decent.
[signature]
Yah I love the logan river spinner fishing and fly fishing it is all fun it is also a beautiful canyon. [fishin]
[signature]