Fishing Forum

Full Version: Small Streams, this early?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am hoping to get out over the weekend and don't feel like fighting the crowds on the MP. So I was thinking of Current Creek, Thistle or maybe Huntington. I have never tried any of them this early in the year. Is it worth trying or should I just go with the crowd so to spead?
[signature]
If you don't like the combat go for it. Many small streams fish well in March and April.
[signature]
my advice for what its worth. fish them with with small stuff and the things you would during the winter. Tributarys usually are just starting to feel the spring thaw. and can be real rewarding this time of year, even though you dont tend to hook into the size of fish you would in the main channel.
[signature]
Smaller streams will be money from here until the blowout with run off starts. It should be coming soon, so get out and give em a whirl!
[signature]
Small streams are mostly what I've been fishing this year, and I've been doing quite well. There have been midge, bwo, and little winter stone hatches going on that have brought actively feeding fish. I've even had a few fish take my big indicator flies.
[signature]
Smith Fork up near Logan? you can still wade the private property as of right now
[signature]
Thank you all for your replies. Sounds encouraging. I'll post the results.

fluteplr
[signature]
I fished Current Creek today and did quite well. The stream is not running with any big type of run off yet so you can still get some good fishing in. I fished with dries only today as they were not biting on any midges or nymphs that I tried on several occasions today.
I fished the Blacksmith yesterday and did ok, 14 fish all day, the smaller riffles were producing some whiteys and a few bows. The deeper stuff did well producing browns and a whitey or two. Overall I did ok yesterday, the biggest was 16 inches and most were about 12 to 13.
Current creek today did pretty good producing some cutts and tigers, 1 was 15 inches which isn't to bad considering that the creek is still pretty slow overall. I did manage to get 9 fish in 3 hours.
Hope this helps
I'll be on the Yellowstone tomorrow if anyone wants to join me, it's still fairly cold up there so bring a good sweatshirt or jacket if you come up.
[signature]
I haven't dared fish any of the private property up there, I've heard that some of the landowners are pretty crazy. It's been my main fishing spot so far this year and it's been pretty good to me. I just get sick of all the traffic noise on The Logan.
[signature]
If you want to stay closer to home Hobble Creek can actually be very good this time of year as well.
[signature]
Well I tried Thistle on Saturday. Water was actually pretty high and a bit off color. Didn't do to well, nothing on dries or nymphs. Had a couple of follows but no strikes on a bugger. But it was a really nice day out so it was still good.
[signature]
All my dad and i have fished this year is small streams and we have cought a couple fish so I say go for it.[Smile]
[signature]
Hobble Creek can be a great little stream, it's where I learned to fly fish. I really like the upper section as you start getting cutts, bows and brookies mixed in with your browns. Diamond Fork used to be amazing, but I haven't fished it since the poisoning. I used to have 100+ days up there with 20"+ browns popping up sometimes. I haven't really heard any good reports since they did that.
[signature]
i still say give it a shot. you know if a land owner harasses you, and you are legally wading the water, you can call the cops and file charges on him right? interfering with a sportsman or something like it is what its called i believe....

quick back story. years and years ago when i had a full head of hair and was a lean mean sexy machine, a buddy of mine were rabbit and coyote hunting out in the praries in CO... we were roughly 3 miles from even a farm road when out of no where come 3 individuals (we will call them hippies) that start asking us a bunch of questions about what we were hunting. being young and stupid i answered every one they asked then they started to turn ugly, saying how we were poisoning the land and how we were irresponsible because we were hunting and how we were trespassing. now bear in mind my buddy and i had shotguns.... the had ban-danas, tie die shirts, and mostly likely intoxicating mushrooms in their lower digestive track. it got to the point where they called the sherrif on us and he told us to meet him back at our car with the hippies. the land owner came out and said hello to us and told the sherrif we had permission to hunt their and dident know the hippies. turns out the hippies got a $386 fine a piece for engaging in :harassing" activities while we were lawfully hunting.

long story short i asked the CO that checked me weeks back about this law and it does indeed exist here in UT and is well enforced even on land owners when access is gained legally in fact....... so, wanna hit up the smith fork one of these comming weekends with me?
[signature]
I love stories like that. I remember one a few years back where water skiers were buzzing a guy in his float tube, so he put on something big and heavy with lots of trebles and lobbed it at them. He snagged one of them so they called the cops on him. The cop said they were way to close to the tube and gave them the ticket.

That would be fun to hit the river with you. The only tough thing is that I work an opposite schedule from my wife during the week, so weekends we're always doing stuff together. Occasionally she'll have something she has to do and I'll be free on a Saturday, though most of my fishing is a couple of hours here or there before work during the week. I'll let you know though if a weekend day is free for me.
[signature]