Fishing Forum

Full Version: Ogden river on lunch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I hit the Odgen on my lunch hour only managed to wrestle a hit and run on a Stimulator. Little fish were rising, nothing big and nothing in the net. I have been trying for a week everyday with no luck. Can anyone give a little help with some ogden river fly selection this time a year.[blush] I cant figure it out, tryed lots of stuff.
If you dont feel comfortable posting, pm's welcome.

Thanks in advance.
[signature]
size 16 bead head prince nymph with just enough weight to occasionally "tap" the bottom. If your indicator even twitches funny, set the hook. It's a light bite this time of year, but they are still eating.
[signature]
ok this is my home strech of river i fish it about 5 times a week since it is in my back yard. What i have been hitting most of my fish on is midge clusters or small ant patterns. all in the size 16-18. I even am picking a few up on bwos. but not to many. here in about 2 weeks the bwos will be coming off like crazy and is a great time for top water action. Underneath you need to be fishing small midges, zebras, discos, wd40s, brassies. If you dont catch any on those I will be quite surprised. But most important try to stay away from all the people (easier said than done) but do a little hiking in the mouth of the canyon or go at off hours to get as little disturbance as possible. Remember most of those fish have seen every thing thrown at them from rainbow power bait to double ott dare devils ( Yes i saw some guy chucking what looked like trolling gear to 12-16 inch fish)
[signature]
'double ott dare devils ( Yes i saw some guy chucking what looked like trolling gear to 12-16 inch fish) '

Funny you mention that. I saw my indicator twitch so I set the hook and soon realize I snagged. I get to the snag and found that I hooked a loop of thick fishing line (about 10lb test). I always keep an eye out for lures caught in trees and what not, so I pull up this line and find a huge '00' rattle barrel dare devil. I have a nice collection of river treasures. Maybe I pay to much attention to the bright shiny things and not the fish[crazy]
[signature]
I fish the Ogden 3-4 times a week. Because like "nymph pimp" it's pretty much in my back yard. I've been only been fly fishing for 2 years so i'm always looking for advice. went out last saturday... lots of fish rising, and after trial and error i found a dry fly that worked probably not the perfect selection but effective. a tiny parachute adam. maybe like size 20? 22? sorry not exactly sure. The next day i went out again and man it was my lucky day!!! A guy came up to me just as i was rigging up my pole. I explained i was new to the sport.....he was more than happy to give me some tips. He also handed me two flies he had tied.These things killed!!! I swear it seemed like as long as i got a good cast/drift they couldn't resist. BUT.....once again i'm a rookie and had trouble setting the hook, and when i did it was a challenge to hold on to them because the flies he gave me were barbless. so all in all i caught 3 but missed too many to count. Still.... it was a fun day. Hope to run into him again to thank him.
[signature]
Great that you had a good day. Wish the weather around my area would be more cooperative so I could get out -- comfortably that is.
If you don't mind sharing ---what do the flies look like? Or do you have a picture?
[signature]
Went out again today west of wall ave..1pm started nymphing.....disco midge with a gold lightning bug bellow. it was real slow but caught 1 on that rig. finally around 3pm the surface action started. immediately put on that caddis fly back on that worked so well last week. killed again!! but this time i did alot better keeping them hooked (fly is barbless). ended up catching (and releasing) 6 browns between 8" and 16". on the 8th my knot broke just as i was leaning down to pic up the fish and off he swam with the last of the 2 flies i was given. at that point i was near a big deep hole so i tied on a size 12 BH prince... it took a few casts but caught 1 more on that then called it a day. It's days like this that make up for the times i go through getting skunked 3-4 days in a row.
[signature]