Fishing Forum

Full Version: Yuba Pike
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know we just had a huge discussion on the Pike and welfare of Yuba lake, but I would like to try and catch one for the first time. I just got my boat out and Yuba has unthawed. Is it a good time of year to fish for them?
[signature]
[cool]Wait til May! Much easier to catch then.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]To the contrary. The pike move into the shallow coves to spawn right after ice out. Now is the time.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]NOW is the time. Pike move into the shallow coves...with brush if you can find it...to spawn right after ice out. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Alright, well I guess I'll head out asap. Thanks for the info!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I probably should have qualified my answer a bit. Yes, the pike do move into the shallows to spawn, but they like about the same temps as the walleye. You will find more fish, more active, after the water reaches the mid 40's temperaturewise. From recent reports, it isn't quite there yet and may be slowed by the coming storms. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I will check in with the State Parks folks next week to get current readings.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Pat, do you have a Web site that one can visit to get that information or do you have some personal commections?
[signature]
[quote Old_Coot]Pat, do you have a Web site that one can visit to get that information or do you have some personal commections?[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]As part of the Utah State Park system they have their own information website [url "http://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/yuba"]LINK[/url] Sometimes the current conditions updates are not current.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can also email Jeff Rasmussen, manager at the Oasis site. He is a cool guy and is very open to communicating with BFTers...and getting more activity at the park.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]E-mail Address: [url "mailto:jeffrasmussen@utah.gov"]jeffrasmussen@utah.gov[/url][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also, here is a link to the Weather.com site for Yuba State Park: [url "http://www.weather.com/weather/today/Yuba+Reservoir+Recreation+Management+Area+UT+US1020:13?from=hrly_topnav_outdoors"]LINK[/url][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for that good info Pat.

Next question for you or anyone who might know: Will my Utah State Parks Pass (the one I use at Willard) work at Yuba?
[signature]
If you have the General pass for ALL State Parks, you are good. If you bought the Willard Specific Pass, you will need to pay. For more general information on Northern Pike, consult both In Fisherman and Fishing Facts. Both mags have excellant information on multi species. both have web sites.
[cool]Yes that would normally be the case, but I'm not so sure the pike in Yuba sing to the same tune as what our pike friends to the northeast do. I have caught pike in May that have been spewing eggs. I know that goes against pike logic, but this is from my own personal experience at Yuba. I can assure you that more good reports will come from Yuba for pike in May than in April, not to say they can't be caught in April. Just seems to really heat up in May.

I will know a little more when I go down next week and help the central fisheries biologists pull their gill nets.[Wink]
[signature]
I'm heading to Yuba the April 9-10th. Would love to hear how this goes and if you have any pointers.
[signature]
Very few walleye in the nets. The males were in the shallows but still waiting for the females to come in. Only caught 4 pike in the nets all day. Like I've been telling everyone the pike do spawn right after ice off, but for whatever reason they do not get happy until the water temps warms up a bit. I do best in late May and June. There are still a few fish in the shallows and the walleye spawn is coming into session right now. If we continue to get good weather the females will be joining those males in the shallows as early as this weekend. Unfortunately it looks like its going to be another tough year at Yuba for catching walleye. Hope this helps.
[signature]
I tried Yuba today with no luck. Asked two other people on boats how their day went and they hadn't caught anything either. Saw lots of fish on the fish finder but couldn't get nothing to bite. I tried fishing deep for some perch and also trolled along the shore line for pike. It's trial and error for me at this point since I've never seriously fished for pike.
[signature]
We spent the day there today. No Bites no fish! DWR was there putting out nets. Have no idea what they found.

I've never done well there this early. I'll be back in May, June. In the mean time I'll fish powell and UL.

If you catch a big pike at Yuba, for Gawd sake turn it loose. Disregard the UDWR wish that you kill every pike. When the pike are gone there will be nothing left!!!! Their philosophy is irresponsible. For all of you experts on Yuba, Save your btreath! There is no justification in killing all the big pike in Yuba.
[signature]
+1 on the big Pike[Wink] Please let them go! If you must keep some, then keep the small ones!
[signature]
I totally disagree with you Pez the DWR know what they are doing! Cant you see the big picture Yuba can become the states largest carp factory in the state now that they are killing off the carp in utah lake!! [sly] But seriously the walleye fishery in yuba is non existent so at least we have trophy pike please catch and release!!
[signature]
+1 Pez, world class sized pike will eat a lot of carp. Also a blast to catch. No where else in UT do we have the opportunity for Pike fishing that Yuba offers, why we would want to take every pike out of there is beyone me. If there were pike by the millions in there I'd keep smaller ones as they are fantastic table fair but the bigger fish I'll let go unless I'm putting it on the wall.
[signature]
+1 on the Catch and Release....bigs one don't even cook up that good....
[signature]
I am going pike fishing up north in a couple months and have a quick question for all you guys that actually have pike nearby to catch. Does the pike fishing usually pick up in May and June on any lake without ice? I have noticed lots of talk about waiting until late May to go Pike fishing and would like to know why it picks up later. I assume it is because of water temps, but am wondering if there are any other reasons.
[signature]