Fishing Forum

Full Version: Building own fly rod
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a good friend that builds his own fly rods and I would really like to make one of my own.

I know when it comes to asking the question of "which fly rod should I get?" It really comes down to personal preference and casting a bunch of rods and seeing which one feels best. I don't have too much experience in using different rods (I have always used a St. Croix Avid), so I really need somewhere to start as far as selecting a blank.

I would like to build all purpose rod for streams/rivers and kicking around in my float tube, so probably a 5 wt. Money is always an issue, so I have to take that into consideration.

Thanks
SBW
[signature]
I have built a couple rods on both Rainshadow and Forecast blanks and have been very pleased with the action and quality of the blanks. Price won't kill you for your first rod build either.

this is who i normally buy from:
http://shop4.mailordercentral.com/hookha...p?dept=111

If you want to build a really high end rod with Sage like qualities without the sage like price check out Gatti blanks. Many builders i have spoken to rave about the performance of the Gatti.

http://www.gatti-usa.com/g4series.htm

My next rod may very well be a 6wt gatti g4 blank. Good luck on your project and be sure to take your time and enjoy your creation!!!
[signature]
I am going to echo the Shadow. Great blanks that don't break the bank.
You got the dryer? Check e-bay for good deals there.
I buy my hardware from Mudd, but you can find some killer kits to start with.
Mojo builds allot of Fly Rods and allot for shows and auctions which get pretty good takes.
I have built a couple and it is frustrating, time consuming addictive fun!!!
[signature]
I've built a couple. Just finished a 7'9" 3wt Rainshadow blank. I'm super pleased with it. My advice would be to not cheap out on the cork and reel seat. Buy Struble!

You will have quite a few hours invested in the project and it's depressing when you get it all done to look at it and wish you had spent an extra $20 for premium components. (ask me how I know....I did that on my first build)

My favorite sources are muddhole.com and Hook & Hackle (hookhack.com)
[signature]
ABSOLUTELY d-mack. And good cork is getting harder to find. I agree totally on Mudhole.
But Anglers workshop has some killer reel seats.
Snake Brand Guides have been my choice.

[Image: IMG_2146.jpg]
[signature]
How important do you guys think it is to have a finishing motor? I'm also thinking about building another rod and was wondering how much easier these make it.

(I don't mean to steal the thread or anything[Smile])
Apply flexcoat with ease!!! Nice!!!
Turn it on and forget it!!! Nice!!!
I wouldn't build a rod without a motor.
[signature]
I agree with HFT on everything, and I mean EVERYTHING he wrote.

GO CORRON!!!!!!
[signature]
dont all states need that change sis???

but.. even though I dont build my own rods Im liking this post a lot... :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I just finished my first ever build of a fly rod. My wife knows nothing about fly fishing and surprised me with a blank she had purchased all on her own. I was very suprised with her initiative. I ended up building a Lefty Kreh Finesse Series 7'9" 3 wt. I don't have pictures yet, but I will try to post them later.

She also suprised me with the purchase of an Albright GP reel to go along with it. I don't know anything about the reel, but supposedly she got a "killer deal" on it.

My question now comes to what fly line to put on my new toy. I really want to try out the new S.A. Sharkskin but I am wondering if it worth forking out the dough for?
[signature]
I've been wanting to get into rod building. If someone could post a good "book" or instrctional guide source and a list of equipment it would be much appreciated...
Thanks!
[signature]
Nevermind everyone..Sorry..All I needed to know is on the links alrady provided/posted. DOH !!
[signature]
My hubby has been building them for years. I built my first this winter and love it.
Just bought 3 Blanks so got something to do on cloudy days.
Picking out the hardware is fun too.

We build Glass rods.
[signature]
How much of a "dust Free" environment is needed?
[signature]
I had to worry more about the "kid free" environment than the dust free.[Smile]
[signature]
Pretty dust free here. We let it turn with epoxy in the bathroom after we take a shower, so, no dust floating.
[signature]
You definatley lead need a turning motor, mainly for the epoxy. I bought one on line for $15. and it works fine. It's a 9 revs per minute. It's impossible to get a good finish without one.
[signature]
There are a bunch of books out there about rod building, but there is also a ton of info, with videos, on-line. Look on rodbuildingforum.com. And Rainshadow has a forum also. I thniks it's easier if you see it being done.
[signature]