Fishing Forum

Full Version: HELP AN INEXPERIENCED FISHERMAN!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a 1 1/2" rapala original floating. I have a 7' light action rod and a Abu garcia 101 spinning reel with 4lb mono spooled on it. I cant cast this lure. Is my tackle still too heavy? what to you recommend?
[signature]
Welcome and sounds like everything is good to go. How far are you trying to cast this light lure?
[signature]
Take the spool off of that reel and see if it has line wrapped up around the spindle underneath it. Wipe the reel down good and re grease the gears with a white lithium grease. Do you get a clipping sensation when you cast? If so the edge of the spool may be roughed up and is catching the line. Use a fine (wet/dry) sandpaper and smooth it down if this is the case. In my opinnion you ought to be able to cast a 1 1/2 inch Rapala plug between 60 to 100 ft easily with a 7' rod and the 101. A plug of that size is a bit big for your line weight. I would use a min. of 6lb. mono and a bit bigger reel. I like the old Mitchell Garcias myself and the 206 to the 300 would be my choice for 1 1/2 inchers. Abu makes some fine reels to replace the no longer made Mitchells like I mentioned. [Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
I like the ADHD that's funny !!
I suffer from ADOS ( attention deficit Oh Shinny )
there's a new one to share.
Hey I just figured out why my tackle box is so heavy !!
[signature]
I do have ADHD and my wife says that statement is so true of me.[Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
Is your tackle box really heavy too ?
[signature]
Which one? I have 6![Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
Ha Ha I love it !! You just got me out of so much trouble with my wife !! [Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
Trouble? What kind of trouble? Oh the six boxes do not include the small box in my bucket for ice fishing and the vest full of flies.[cool] The latest one for me is a tackle bag full of small boxes that I use for float tubing. Also my wife has a tackle bag and a small box. Each of my kids each have a box and fly vest.

You should see the wall of my garage. There are four rod racks that each hold 7 rods. Totaling 28 rods hanging on the wall and four more in tubes or cases not on wall. The rods consist of two each for my kids and two for the wife. Also son has one fly rod in tube as well. And nephew has one rod that I hold on to for he goes with us quite often. I have two bags full of reels and it is time to get another bag for I need to add to my collection of reels to go with all the rods.[cool][cool][cool]

Yes I am sick and incurable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
[signature]
tell me about it, I have a fishing tackle trunk, 5x2x2 on wheels. not counting my ice fishing bag and buckets and quad and 4x4 and my regular tackle box that is loaded for every thing from gills to stergeon and several duffel bags of fishing rods and reels and a dozen boxes full of reels, then there is the fly tieng kit and the lure making kit, and the worm box, not to mention the boat and waders. Cant forget the Three fishing hats and a pair of sunglasses [cool][fishin]
[signature]
Well lets see I came up with an idea today to add to all of it. I go to Grand Junction CO everyweek for work so now I am thinking I need to set something up there to do some fishing while I am there. The idea follows:

1 float tube
1 set of waders (already have them)
1 pair of fins (already have them)
1-2 fishing rods(spin and baitcast)
1 small tackle box

Now to buy the out of state license for $56 ( it will pay itself off in 7 trips[Smile][Smile][Smile]

This all goes with which I already have:
1 toon
2 16" round float tubes
1 20" round float tube
and 1 FC4 float tube

[cool]Gotta love it[cool]
[signature]