Fishing Forum

Full Version: Please help me set up a few new rigs...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, since I've been out of the fishing game for quite a few years now my gear is very outdated. And some of it is the worse for wear from being in storage for a number of years. So I'm in the process of replacing/updating all of it.

What I'm after is a couple ultra light and lightweight rigs for trout. Have settled on the Stradic reels unless someone can put me onto some that are better. Figure the 1000fi for ultra-light, and 2000 or 2500fi for the light/midweight. But, I need suggestions on rods that will balance nicely with the Stradic's as well as being of comparable/better quality then those reels. I'm not opposed to spending $300 or more for a rod if it is worth the money.

Would also like to set up some midweight baitcasting rigs that can be used for "everything."

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
[signature]
are you sure you dont want a spin casting setup to be used for everything? I can make suggestions for a combo that would put you on every thing from blue gill to 30lb carp. I dont know any bait casting reel that can do all that...

sorry I cant toss you a bonefish on the upper end stuff for light weight gear, I have never been fortunate enuff to have delt with those product lines.
[signature]
[quote davetclown]are you sure you dont want a spin casting setup to be used for everything? I can make suggestions for a combo that would put you on every thing from blue gill to 30lb carp. I dont know any bait casting reel that can do all that...[/quote]Picked up a spinning rig that I could use for everything in a pinch, its a Stradic 3000Fi sitting on a G. Loomis GL2 HSR1021S.

Local shop (here in Alaska) is really only geared towards Salmon fishing, especially at this time of year. Thus the larger rod/reel.

I guess you could say that I'm a sucker for niche gear. I would really rather have three or four rod/reel combos that excel in their specific area rather then one do-all that compromises in every area.

Thank you for the suggestion though [laugh]
[signature]
going for salmon you wont get away with mid range equipment.

I too am one for the right rod for the right job,

I have 4 fly rods, one telocopic
I have 3 mid range rods all telocopic
I have 2 salmon rods, tho ours here in michigan dont get to the class that yours do in alaska, but still they are no slouches.

I would go in to the heat of battle with lighter tackle on a 30 lb carp than I would on a 30 lb salmon.
[signature]