Fishing Forum

Full Version: What line would you use
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a Daiwa baitcaster with a 6'6 heavy Daiwa rod... The rod has Aluminum Oxide eyelets.

I have tried 30lb spiderwire and while my set up casted it fine I was having troubles with the line snapping on cast.

I tried 30lb firewire but it's a bit too big for my set up so I might go with 20lb.

What would you guys use on my set up? My main focus with this set up is Northern Pike... I have another set up for bass.
[signature]
I use braided now .. just started this year with it.. and will never go back.

its like silk and a pain in the ass sometimes...

but it don't break and I have lost a few 60lb blues on the 20...

but have landed a lot of 30 to 40lb blues on the 20.

the knots are different and you can't tie the old mono or filo with braid.

but it's tight and and powerful.

that cat that broke my 30lb braid had to be 50 to 70lb blue cat at the river. the same day that happened a 68lb blue was caught.

its not impervious to breaks but is beats mono and fili anyday.

just my two cents.

just be prepared to deal with silk small line and sometimes it will get on your freaking nerves....
[signature]
I tried braided lines and i did not like them. They have their place i suppose. They do not suit my needs as a salmon angler. The braided will cut into your eyelets eventually.
At least they did on my rod a few years ago.
You said that your line was breaking on the cast? I don't know what your entire set up was, but it sounds like you are casting too much weight. That is the only way i've seen line break on the cast. Unless your braided line had some wear and tear.
Be sure to check your line every night before you go fishing and replace any line wit h abrasions or nicks in them.
[signature]
three other things that will cause breakage while casting.

Poorly tied knots,

knots in your line

Old weathered line. Even if it is something you just put on, it can still be old and weathered especialy if it had layed around on the dashboard of your car. "Light and heat is the thing that will deteriorate your line faster than any thing"
[signature]