Fishing Forum

Full Version: Question circle hooks on hardbaits
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I fish in both fresh and saltwater and I have heard alot of talk on circle hooks. I wanted to know if anyone has used circle hooks in place of treble hooks on hardbaits and if so how they performed or any other thoughts.
[signature]
no I havent, but ya know I dont see why it wouldnt work.

I luv circle hooks. they are great on bill fish and long nose gar pike. I do know that in the golf of mexico barbless circle hooks are the only hooks you are allowed to use for bill fish, "marlin swardfish ect...."

they work great walleye all the time in the detroit river,

so if you are thinking about changing your crank baits over, you may have a few missed hookups but I dont for see any major problems,

might I ask what prompted the qurie?
[signature]
First I would like to thank you for your response. I think conservation of any species of game fish should be everyones top priority. I am always interested in trying new ways of catching fish while reducing mortality rates. Hence the question on circle hooks, I have also heard of replacing tail treble hooks with colorado spinner blades I hear it augments the action on slow retrieves and increases the hook up rate. I guess the only way to know is to try and try I will! Thanks again
[signature]
Keep us posted on how well it works.
[signature]