Fishing Forum

Full Version: Thinking of heading south
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone have info on runoff status on Diamond Fork, Thistle or Huntington?

Huntington was a muddy mess last Sunday but looking at the flow chart it looks like it might be down again, with the colder weather.

Not trying to hot spot, just don't want to waste my time driving down only to look at a river or chocolate milk.

Thanks in advance.
[signature]
I went into the right hand fork of the Huntington on Saturday and fishing was awesome. The water was clear and very low. It was really tough to fish because of the low flow but the fish were out feeding all day. We ended up catching about 20 fish on nymphs.
[signature]
DF and Thistle handles these small storms well and you can almost always find good fishing between the 2. No runoff yet and as long as it doesn't all of the sudden hit 90 degrees it'll probable be a relatively mild runoff in that drainage this year.
[signature]
If your thinking of going south go to powell fly fishing for stripers is like the coolest thing in utah to do..
[signature]
I can see the Huntington from my house and it does look a little high, but haven't been above the forks to see if it left fork, right fork, or both that's providing the water.

You're biggest problem will be the weather. We've had gusts into 40's for several days now. It getting old. [frown]
[signature]
Well I hit Diamond fork Sat. morning up around red cliffs. It was snowing.

Got 5 good size browns in the first hour, then it stopped snowing and that was pretty much it for the day. Water got muddier and by noon nothing was biting at least for me.

Planning to try Huntington this weekend, I'll post what happens.

BTW flygirl I have been using the furled thread leader sample you gave me at the show. Its been working great. I even managed to get a wind knot out of it (after stealing one of my wife's needle point needles).

I'll be sending an order for a couple more, but it looks like these are pretty indestructible so one or two are probably good for the season.
[signature]