Fishing Forum

Full Version: I need a little help!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, I need some help! I have not been fly fishing since Mill Hallow closed for construction 5 years ago. Well it opened back up this year so I wanted to get some practice in so I went today to Willow Pond, set up my fly pole like I always have with 1 fly tied to a leader then my tippet tied to that hook and another fly attached to that. Well, it was horrible! I spent most of my time untangeling the line. Then when I did manage to get my flies on the water I couldn't even get a strike. So, my questions are, what am I doing wrong? I used this set-up before and did awesome. Also, what flies are good for Willow Pond? Last question, I tried the roll cast and I can not get it to work, my line just all piled up into one place. So, what am I doing wrong? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
[signature]
I can meet you at willow pond and show you what you might be doing wrong but I don't have the writing skills to describe it here.

As for flies chironomids work well as do most wooly buggers and mohair leeches. With that said you must have a good presentation. I find that the slow hand twist retrieve (sp) works best there.
[signature]
Hey, I would very much appreciate that! when is the next time you are going there?
[signature]
I am no expert, but I find when my line piles up on the roll cast, it is usually because I did not stop the rod in the correct position on the foward cast. 10 oclock seems to work best for me. As for flies try hares ear, pheasant tail,prince, or scuds. Location on willow is important most days. Maybe we could meet up there and I can show you what little I know.
pa
[signature]
On Willow Pa, I say you are an expert. You have that pond down to a science.

Haresears work anytime.
We could have a party, so let me know of this get together, okay?
[signature]
You bet Joni[Smile]
[signature]
I've never been to Willow and im not sure whats in there. I do most of my fishing on streams but i do spend a ton of time at mantua in the summer fishing still water.Mantua is full of pan fish. what has worked for me is a Popper with a small bead head prince nymph about 12"-18" bellow. Works great for Bluegill, perch, and smaller bass. Ive always wondered how this technique would work for trout? Witch are also in Mantua but like i said usually go there in the dead of of summer when the trout fishing is slow.
[signature]