Fishing Forum

Full Version: what lbs line should i use?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hey i'm new here and have a question needed answering.

im using the pfluger trion gx-7 spinning rod/reel combo and the rod says up to 12lb line but the reel has 4,6 and 8lbs line. does this mean i can only use up to 8lbs? i'd like to bump it up to atleast 10 maybe 12 because i keep snapping the line casting spinner baits. i'm new to fishin and this is my first setup and i've lost atleast 10 spinner baits this year from my line snapping when i cast.
congradulations, you did your math right,

the biggest line you should use is the smallest that your equipment calls for, so if you need to go to bigger line you will need to find a reel that is classified for the bigger line.
[signature]
You can run a braided line as it's a smaller diameter that mono.
[signature]
why couldnt i just put less of the 10 or 12lb line on the reel?
[signature]
You will find out quick when you get a big fish on lol! [laugh]
[signature]
what will happen?
[signature]
I will save ya a dime,

Your reel will fall apart

It may not the first time you use it, but if you keep targeting fish that is greater than the class your real is designed for, you will vary quickly burn up the life of the reel.

kinda like puttin jet fuel in a ford tractor.
[signature]
i figured as much ha. well i got that medium action pole should i just get another reel that will do 12lb or should i get another pole too?
[signature]
there is nothing wrong with having several reels for the same pole, or several poles for the same reel.

I do both,
[signature]
i dont really have much funds for fishing right now, i was saving up for a catfish setup but i may put that on hold for a bigger bass setup so i can fish spinners. im having a heck of a time with them. i guess now the debate it.. spinner or baitcaster?
[signature]
I know my guys who swear by the bait casters, even my nephew likes them.

but when it comes to fishing at night even he will admit that spincasters have the least amount of problems and the most controll.

if your having problems with the cats, tell me what kind of knots you are using. that is usualy the first thing we want to know, it is more likely the knots are untying or there is breaking at the knot befor the line breaks.

With the proper knot, the line will have to break some where else.

there is no reason you cant catch a 12 pound cat on a 8 pound rig.
[signature]
i havent actually caught a catfish yet. like i said im new to fishing so i figured i would need a catfishing setup to catch some. i was planning on getting a cheap ugly stick from walmart and just going from there.

but i use the triline knot. its pretty easy for me and seems to be pretty effective except when i put spinners on that 8lb line it snaps when i cast. and i figured im using triline XT fishing line why not use their knot.

what do u think the best knot would be?
[signature]
that is one of the top thee,

Trilene
Polimer
Snell

The reason you are breaking your line is aperent to me, if you are using spinner blades and not using a clevis to attach the blade to the line it will score and break the line on a regular basis.
[signature]
i dont really kno what a clevis is.. i googled it and they were all massive.

i always use a swivel because i like to switch lures alot and it makes everything quick and easy.
[signature]
[quote smoothest485] snaps when i cast.[/quote]

how much line do you have out wen you cast ?
I have 5-7" wen I do

hear is a web site that i find good for knots [Image: bobwink.gif]
fishingcairns.com.au/page6-1.html

P.S what type of real are you using. have you ever used a bait caster ??
[signature]
i have the lure pretty close to the pole. probably an inch or 2. i was watchin a youtube video yesterday and it looks like i should have it out a bit longer.

thanks for the knot website ill check it out!

im using a pflueger gx-7 i think is the model.. its a spinning reel if thats all u were looking for.

i used a baitcaster for the first time yesterday and it was pretty cool, im thinking of getting one.

im really just debating on getting a baitcaster or flugers' mr president spinning reel.
[signature]
your welcome [cool]

If you going to use this real for cat to I think you should go with a spinning or a spincast
I love having a spincast for cats because you can get way out in the center
wen i had a baitcaster (it was a Shakespeare form 1920)
I love it ,i would use for cat
I use a spinning real for casting out lures
[signature]
i dont really know much about spin casters.. i thought they were more for little kids?

really i want to be able to fish for whatever jumps on my hook whether its a bass or a cat or somthing completly random.

i was thinking around 12 - 14 lbs line with a pflueger president spinning reel on my fluger gx-7 rod.

or just buying a cheap baitcaster.
[signature]
spinning reel and spin cast are the same thing.

there are two types, opened face and closed face.

dont let any body kid you about spinning reels, A state record catfish of 80 pounds was caught on a kiddies barbie pole.

the thing you need to be clear on is if you have the patients to land a wopper on a light setup.

Pretty much the standard medium weight is 8 pounds, some guys will go with a 12-15 pound leader line when targeting walleye and pike.
[signature]
i don't think you will see a 5 year old using a zebco hawg seeker [Wink]
look at this push button compared to his hand you mite want to look at this at bass's web site it's not to big for bass or to small for cat Smile

[url "http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10205114_100001002_100000000_100001000_100-1-2[Image: 0.jpg]"]http://www.basspro.com/...FV3nBLCE/0.jpg[/img][/url] [Image: 0.jpg]
[signature]