Fishing Forum

Full Version: Briggs & Straton kicker
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been thinking about getting a Briggs and Straton kicker motor. Any one have any feed back on them. I would like to stick with a four stroke and they seem to be the least expensive.

Thanks
Allan
[signature]
I would shy away from B&S. I purchased one, pulled it out of the box, got her all ready, dunked her in the water, ran her for about 5-10 minutes and it seized up on me!!! Drained the oil/gas to send back to Cabela's and there was nothing but chunks/shavings of metal coming out!!! Plus, that thing was way too loud anyhow. Told Cabela's about it and they upgraded me to the Nissan 3.5 for free even thou it was $700 more!!! Cabelas might be expensive but they have the BEST customer support!!!
TS
[signature]
They are shipped with out oil in the crank case . If you didn't top it off it was running dry . I agree with Trout Slayer don't buy the B&S . I have one and it is very loud and vibrates very bad . You have to hang on the the tiller all the time or it won't run straight . The one good thing about this motor , it will run for days on 3 gallons of gas .
[signature]
Yeah I know. It came with 1/2 or 3/4 qt. of oil in the box, still seized up!!!
TS
[signature]
Well you got the better end of that deal . I also agree with what you said about customer service at Cabela's .
[signature]
I've got a 6 HP four stroke mercury which is nice because I can pull off the same fuel line my oil injected big motor uses and I don't need an additional tank, but that being said; I think I would prefer a 2 stroke kicker in anything small enough that has a single cylinder. Single cylinder 2 strokes run a lot smoother than their 4 stroke brothers. My 6 HP rattles so much that it about drives me crazy to troll for an extended period of time. I've never owned one of the B & S units, but I have herd them run and I know I couldn't stand it, no matter how cheap they are.
[signature]
Hurry and get on ksl there are some great motors on there right now for the same price your going to spend on the lawn mower engine.
[signature]
I had one and it was a piece of crap! It was loud, took forever to get started every time we went to run it IF we could get it to run at all, hated it. I now have a 70s merc 7.5 that still starts up easily, is quiet and reliable. You couldn't give me a Briggs kicker and expect me to use it. Don't waste your money in my opinion.
[signature]
Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like I will be going another direction.

Allan
[signature]